• In the Spotlight:

This popped in my head today. Question about girls going into puberty years earlier than boys

So a girl start puberty at 8 lets say. By 10 she has had her period start so technically nature is telling her she's ready to start bearing children
A boy doesn't start til 13.
So who is nature intending these 9,10,11 girls to be having sex with,13,14,15 year old boys?!
This is one of these leftover things from when we were lesser mammals I don't understand!
DISCLAIMER--I'm not saying its ok for kids of any of these ages to be having sex.
This is purely a NATURE thing

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Health

• Girls of that age are actually not ready to get pregnant. It can happen (obviously), but their cycles are much less reliable and their cycles are (on average) only fertile about 10-25% of the time.

In any case, I detest using anthropomorphisms and language attempting to show that "nature" has some sort of motive. Biology just happens. There isn't "intent" to it, because there isn't an intelligence behind the "actions". That said, girls that start reproducing early do have greater fitness (i.e., greater numbers of fertile offspring), so I can see how it would be an evolutionarily advantageous trait.

In terms of the age disparity between the sexes - since males face more challenges and competition for mates (and have a greater potential for reproduction), it makes evolutionary sense for them to be a little older (and larger) when they start sexual activity.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My 81/2 year old niece has the body of a 13 or 14 year old child. This is what got me thinking

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Actually nature intends for females to reproduce with older males. Older males are more likely to be financially stable and able to provide for them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:01 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• most girls do date above/ marry above their age. and girls are more mature than boys..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think it's more about peak. Females peak around 16 and males around 18.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 10:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• wow i did not get my period till i was 13, my sister was 14 and my cousin was 16.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 12:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Most people I know started around 11. I was 9.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 12:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011