Pre-Birth Depression?

Is there such a thing? If so, I most definitely have it.

I'm always feeling so down all the time. I'm just always so upset! Sometimes I feel like I'm not fit to be a mom, sometimes I just feel bad because my littl boy won't be able to have what I had when I was a kid, what if he doesn't like me? I'm just always crying.
HELP!

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 9:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Very normal, mommy. Good news, I PROMISE your baby won't hate you! You will definitely have times where you feel like a bad mommy, but your baby will always forgive you. You will be the best mommy for this baby! There's no therapy better than your sleeping infant on your chest, and feeling that breath on you.
    Keep an eye out for post partum depression. It's more common among women who were depressed during their pregnancies. Do you have access to counseling? Might be worth checking into. Talk to your OB about it, too.
    Hang in there, and know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• you can be depressed at any point in your life, before or after or during pregnancy. pregnancy is not the only cause of depression.

I'd recommend talking to a psychologist if you truly believe you are depressed.
    Anonymous

• This is totally normal and it happened to me too. I told my doc about it, but it wasn't bad enough for medication. Talk to your doctors. They'll discuss treatment options. Maybe some talk therapy would help or exercise. There are meds that can be prescribed but there are other method to try first. Good luck and hang in there! I am sure you'll be an awesome mom! Babies don't need much but love, food, and diapers so don't worry about that! You'll be great!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• How far along are you? if you are nearing the end of your pregnancy, you should talk to your doctor. Depression during the last trimester is usually a head's up that you'll have post-partum depression. Hope everything gets better honey!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• what you are feeling i did with my first its normal and baby the will love you no matter what so you dont worry about if your going to be a good mom or not just do the best you can and you will learn with the baby but its always good to talk to your doc as well
    Autumn634

Answer by Autumn634 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I would atribute that to hormones. but yea you can have depression anytime
    angelbaby2

Answer by angelbaby2 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• So normal.. i am being seen for the same exact thing.. Hormones i suppose..
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 3:23 AM on Dec. 15, 2008