17 month old still not eating table food

He has had 2 bouts of tonsillitis and I am wondering if this has something to do with it?... He somewhat will chew the food but when it comes down to swallowing it he gags and throws up almost every time. It seems to only be with certain foods. He will eat pieces of bun, but not mashed potatoes. Some french fries but not chicken pieces....
I am stuck.!
We bought a food processor so I am going to try that but am fearful of him rejecting it!
He knows the look of his food versus other food.
I am just really stuck
Advice please

Amanda11810

Asked by Amanda11810 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just start pureeing everything. It sounds like it's more about the texture of the food rather then him not liking it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• so after pureeing everything how long should i wait til i start roughing it up more to adjust the texture?
    Amanda11810

Comment by Amanda11810 (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Give it a week or two and then blend it a little less. You may find that certain foods, he will not like in a rougher texture and others he will love.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• do you think it could be his tonsils though?
    i am just worried
    i am a first timer and don't know how to handle this
    Amanda11810

Comment by Amanda11810 (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Maybe his tonsils are sore still. He could have a fear of swallowing from having a sore throat so much. I would keep offering the food so he gets used to swallowing again and the textures. You can also talk to the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• should i still do food processor to work him up to the reg food?
    Amanda11810

Comment by Amanda11810 (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I would talk to his pedi. Did he eat table foods before the tonsilitis? One of the kids in my daughter's playgroup has been working with a therapist thru early intervention on eating different foods. She has some interesting ideas that have worked for him
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 11:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I this k its just certain textures. My daughter was like that but on with certain food like noodles she didn't like the texture of it. I think pureed food will help. Good luck
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 11:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• could be the foods you are feeding him as well.. his stomach may not be able to handle some of those greasier foods.. and meats are difficult to digest sometimes if they have stomach problems as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2011