How do you get kids to stop purposely peeing themselves?

My DD will be 4 in a few days, my DS is 2. There are no diapers in my house. Its like a daily event that my DD pees herself.

But just now she did it, got talked to and sent to change her clothes. And then my DS walked up to me and tossed his wet underpants at me. He is fully potty trained, more so than she is. But what is going on and why are they doing this???

I am at my wits end with DD. I told her no big girl birthday party if she can't stop peeing all over the place (obviously not in those words!!)

I need help :( What do I do??

willngingersmom

Asked by willngingersmom at 10:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If this is a battle you are willing to fight.. find her weakness? My youngest son, I had a talk because he loves playing videogames... big boys play videogames, and if you wear the diaper you can't... and if he had an accident (on purpose, I know my son), I would take away his videogames the rest of the day... took 2 days of butting heads before I won...

Hahaha... sad to think "I won"... but my youngest is a lot like me when I was little and my payback for the hell I was to my parents? I am still stubborn in many ways
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• 2 might just be to early to be forced to be potty trained. So Assuming you did the same to your DD, trained her before SHE was ready, then this might be the back lash you hear about when you force your kids to potty train to early. Just a thought.

Anonymous

• I think you should not make a big deal of it. They'll learn soon enough, just because they don't like to have pee running down their legs and because it's socially inappropriate and they WILL "get" that, soon enough. You making a big deal of it might actually be encouraging the behaviour because it gets your attention or gets a rise out of you. If it was me, I'd buy diapers and make her wear them until she's big enough to use the toilet. See that would make her embarrassed, as she should be, by her own behaviour. Your son too. Threatening to take away a birthday party is a punishment that is not connected really to the behaviour and besides they probably know you won't follow through with that one. (It does seem a bit extreme to cancel her birthday party, they only get one of those a year and a year is a LONG time when you're four).
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• what really helped my sister train my nephew was to let him go around bottomless in the house, or when we went places she wouldn't put underwear under his pants. i think when he felt like there was nothing there to catch his accidents he didn't do. i have also heard that clothe diapers help potty train faster. or try the pullups that get cold or whatever so they know its not right. well good luck hope this helps.
    sarah8910

Answer by sarah8910 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• its not really a party (like with people) just me and her brothers, so I don't think it's that extreme. And I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't going to follow through.

That's not the point though. My point is trying to determine Why and How to stop this. My house smells, my car smells...
    I guess diapers is the answer :( I just thought that would hurt her too much...
    willngingersmom

Comment by willngingersmom (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Anon, I didn't force him He ASKED me, he talks like a 6 year old and will tell you anything crystal clear!! SHE only started a couple months ago, and I don't force my children to do anything.

willngingersmom

Comment by willngingersmom (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011