Cold sore

Please help me, I have the worst cold sore ever. Today I got blisters on my lower lip. How can I get it to go away? Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Health

• Abreva works wonders...put on various times throughout day. only need a little dab. Also, recently I found eucalyptus oil works. I am doing a homemade facial regime which includes eucalyptus oil and I felt a cold sore coming on and didnt have abreva. I accidentally got some of the oil on my lips and the next day the cold sore had never even finished forming.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 11:07 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• If it's spreading, getting larger call your doc and they can prescribe something to help - an anti-viral. Then they can also give you a script to take next time the an outbreak is starting to keep the sore from getting that big. Call your doc in the morning.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Put peroxide on two cotton balls, carefully let it rest on the inner and outer part of your lip where it is affecting. ( be careful not to squeeze it with your lip when it's in your mouth as you don't want to swallow it) It will help it clear up much faster.....you can also carefully use a q-tip or cottonball and squeeze a small amount on the lip as well. If any runs in mouth, just spit it out. Do this a few times a day.... :-) Good Luck......
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• campho-phenique
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Just an FYI... Peroxide won't necessarily help it heal faster... H2O2 kills leukocytes at the site, cells you need to for healing. So when you kill them off you actually slow healing. H202 slows healing, and traps gasses under the skin due to the fizzing effect... that is why they don't recommend that you clean cuts with it anymore.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Here are a few cites with some info.. Good luck. I get them too... but take an anti-viral at first sign, and then I don't get that painful blister anymore.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/cold-sores-topic-overview

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/cold-sores-treatment-overview

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cold-sore/DS00358/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Crafty26

• I get them alot. One thing i found that helps ALOT is Abreva. It's expensive but really cuts healling time down. Also before applying it I use rubbing alcohol on the blisters. Yes it hurts like hell, but it kills the germs and keeps it from spreading. I found this on webmd.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I hate those. The things that worked best for me as far as home treatment is abreva, plus rubbing alcohol as another poster said. It seems to dry it out faster. Also, I would suggest a prescription. I went years before i got a prescription because i always thought, it's just a fever blister, nothing i need medication for. So i suffered thru them for years. I finally got Valtrex, then switched to the generic of Zovirax (acyclovir) which is $4. Both are great, and the acyclovir is very affordable. Now i take the rx when i feel one coming and 90 % of the time it never surfaces.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Side note. I have had problems with cold sores.  I have disproved your statement and it is the only treatment I use.  I used to get frustrated trying everything on the market and for me peroxide has worked better than anything else. I agree to this with a non viral or bacterial  based sore, it is not recommended, however it does kill the bacteria or viral sores faster than Abreva or any other medicines.     It dries it up faster and does work.... It also has stopped them to develop if I apply when I feel one coming on.  Also make sure to sterilize any tooothbrush, travel mugs or water bottle that you use.....Clean them with detergent and a bit of bleach then rinse well....  Good Luck.   

LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Don't touch the cold sore with your hands. If you do wash your hands and wash them often. You can spread this to other areas such as eyes and genitals.  Don't kiss anyone either you will give it to them. 

My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 10:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2011