Drinking Father

My husband would rather drink then be at home with his 10 month old son. He says that he's going to quit drinking but it never happens, he wont even cut back. I've told him it's either his son and me or his friends and the alcohol. He says that it's going to be his son and me but then he goes drinking the next day. What should i do?

Happymomma365

Asked by Happymomma365 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• answered earlier.

did you not get the answer you were looking for? if you're looking for a specific answer, please tell us so we can go a head and post it for you...
    Anonymous

• wasnt this posted before. it sounds like the man is an alcoholic and you can't help him unless he wants to help himself and i don't care how many kids you have or how much you threaten him it is not going to work. you either make the choice to deal with it or you make the choice not too. i am not being ignorant i am being truthful i have been there
    Anonymous

• in reference - here's your earlier post
    http://www.cafemom.com/answers/89498/Drinking_father?cat_id=13

and you even picked a best answer...so what are asking exactly now?
    Anonymous

• Honestly, I would kick his drunk ass out...but that is just me. He will have to make that move on his own and it doesnt sound like he is ready to make that decision. If you kicked him out maybe he would see your serious. He would have to quit drinking alltogether before I let him back into our lives.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 10:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• It sounds like he is using drinking with his friends as an escape, or a way to deal with his depression from the past. I had to same problem..before i was a mom. I came from a broken home and an alcoholic mother.. So I drank with my friends and I wouldnt think about things as much. I eventually got some counseling and she gave me other alternatives to do besides drinking, and how to stop. You just have to simply not put yourself in that enviroment. It sounds like he loves his family..but he just may need to get some counseling and realize how serious this problem is and how it impacts the family.
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 11:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Oh and this is just my opinion.. I wouldnt kick him out because chances are if u did it would make him want to drink that much more. Besides people need loving the most when they deserve it the least.
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 11:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• simple and staright to the point...LEAVE HIS ASS- HE AINT NEVER GONNA CHANGE!!
    Anonymous

• I know if i kicked him out he would drink more. When we talked about getting a divorce he went out drinking the next day. And he drank all day. As far as him changing i believe he can with some time. Everyone deserves a second chance i think
    Happymomma365

Answer by Happymomma365 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2008