I really think I hate him.

Do you think it's a big deal to hate your brother? Mine has done everything he can to destroy our family. He is constantly using emotional blackmail against me and my mother. He is just a down right awful person. I really think I am done with him. Do you think it's wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• Everyone has someone they have to set strong boundaries with. If you have a toxic person in your life, they need to have limatations so that they cannot affect you or they need to be removed. Its like cancer, you can either treat it with medication or remove it, but you dont just leave it there so that it spreads and consumes you. I also think that you cannot truly hate someone unless you care about them. Hate is a powerful emotion, you wouldnt feel that unless that person affected you. You probably love your brother and that made what he did to you so much worse. That turned into hatred so no I dont think you are wrong.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 12:00 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• depends I have not talked to my sister in 4 years truth is I am more happy sad yes but the drama was to much

Anonymous

• just because they are family doesn't mean u have to like them,, sometimes it's just more peaceful without them around,, my mother has shut her brother out of her life and it has been so much better around here,, she only talks to him in emergencies... i think it was a good decision..
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I have 2 half sisters in MN that were brainwashed to believe everyone on my dads side of the family are awful people. They refuse to talk to is. I called one of them on their birthday and said "dad told me to tell you he loves you." She replied, "yeah, I love me too." And I have a half brother in KS (Gosh, this all doesnt sound good) that has burned every bridge possible with everyone. No one likes him at all. We love him, but he makes us all miserable! I am happy to not talk to any of them. If they were to all apologize I'd give them another chance but I have already initiated talking so I am don with them as far as I am concerned.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 10:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• No you are not wrong. I have a younger brother who is ADHD and though I love him dearly, I no longer speak to him. He was raised to not take responsiblity for himself and his actions so he is disrespectful, angry, and rude. I don't like being around him cuz it always makes me upset. I can't be with him for longer than 5 minutes without fighting. The last time I spoke to him I had to kick him out of my car. I love him dearly and I always will, but it is safer for me and less stressful if he's not in my life.
    airmanswife1006

Answer by airmanswife1006 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• not at all. i have a sister i hate too! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I don't think its crazy or anything...I think every family has one of those people.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My dh doesnt talk to his brother and refuses to ever talk to him again. His brother to make a long story short, went behind dh's back to get dyphs to remove my dh's first daughter from her biological mother and then him and his wife adopted her. so you know it depends on what the scenario is that makes you not talk to him.
    angelbaby2

Answer by angelbaby2 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I sometimes wish I had the strength. My bro has been an "on again off again" addict for as long as I can remember. Everytime he gets himself together he does something to destroy it and we're all the worse for it. I love him dearly, but every time things are going wee, I can't help but wonder how long before the next relapse. Sometimes it's better to move on than emotionally cripple yourself.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008