Question for Jehovah's Witnesses

I often wonder about a few things in Jehovah's Witness faith and wonder if some of you could answer some things for me. Like why do you all not celebrate birthdays? Why do you all not vote? And what is the significance of the 144,000? I was recently told that Jehovah's Witnesses are also Christians and that confused me because I always believed that you didn't believe that Jesus and God are the same, so what is the definition of a Christian in your faith?

This is not to offend anyone I really just want to know the differences in Jehovah's Witnesses and Christians as I know them.

Whoistheboss

Asked by Whoistheboss at 10:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Heaven is limited only to 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses.There are only 9,105 alive today (2006 figures)
    Heaven is hope only for select Jehovah's Witnesses. The majority of JWs hope to live on "paradise earth"
    Jehovah's Witnesses are the only "true Christians." All churches and denominations are considered "false religion"
    They do not celebrate Birthdays because it is considered a Pagan Holiday.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Christian - the belief in Jesus as your savior. if you believe Jesus died to forgive your sins, you are a Christian. I do not see how you can be confused on that one... Believing Jesus died for your sins does not mean that you have to believe he is God. The son of God can as easily be sacrificed for your sins as God could.

Anonymous

• Let's get this straight...I am not confused as to what I believe. I believe Jesus is my Lord and Savior and was born to die for my sins.

I am just curious as to what others believe. If you were coming here to get nasty with me, you could have kept that to yourself. I just wanted an EDUCATED answer not some smart remark. Thank you!

Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 10:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Southerncharmes, thanks! I often wondered about the birthdays and the 144,000? Can you tell me why not vote?
    Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 10:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I sent you an email...it may help you. :O)
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Thank you very much for answering.
    Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 10:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Wow, I never would have guessed that there are so few Jehovah's Witnesses around. We must have quite a few here in my city. I had a good friend who was a Jehovah's Witness, but she wasn't very comfortable talking about her beliefs because she'd encountered too many rude people. It made me sad to think that people were so cruel.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 11:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Wow! They really believe all other denominations are false religions? That explains why they're always going door-to-door. They're so sincere in their beliefs that they want to see others in the true religion too. I believe I've just found out something new about them. Thanks to the poster who wrote that! I'll be more tolerant of them when they appear at my door in the future b/c of this.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Oh, I wanted to add that the collecting of 144,000 started with those of Jesus Apostles and the frist century Christians, the Bible calls the Christ the First fruits to God..
    Jesus Christ was spiritually begotten at the time of his baptism and was resurrected from the dead to life in the spirit on Nisan 16, 33 C.E., the day of the year on which the firstfruits of the first grain crop were presented before Jehovah at the sanctuary. He is, therefore, called the firstfruits, being actually the first firstfruits to God. (1Co 15:20, 23; 1Pe 3:18)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• The faithful followers of Jesus Christ, his spiritual brothers, are also a firstfruits to God, but not the primary firstfruits, being similar to the second grain crop, the wheat, which was presented to Jehovah on the day of Pentecost. They number 144,000 and are called the ones “bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb” and “certain firstfruits of his creatures.”—Re 14:1-4; Jas 1:18
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2008