I'm just not sure what to do

My 5yo daughter used to go to sleep, help me pick up her toys, listen to what she was asked to do, and was well mannered. Out of no where, she has been the complete opposite. I've talked to her DR about things to try out (take toys away, time-outs, no playing outside, and not giving her favorite treat) but nothing seems to work. When we take toys away we get the "I don't like that anyways" and "I don't want to play outside." My question is what can I do at this point? It is 11:25 PM, and I'm still battling bedtime. I've tried routines and she doesn't take them. They may work for a week or two, but after that she is right out of bed.

I went from being at home 24/7 to starting college, so I am gone every weekday for at most 9 hours. Do you think this could be possibly be what the problem is?

I've sat and talked with her and asked her why she won't go to sleep or listen and she will tell me, "I hate sleep." Or, "I don't want to." I'm at my witts end with this one, and I know there are quite a few of you who have either gone through this or are going through this!!! Help!!!!!!!

supermama86

Asked by supermama86 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I went from being at home 24/7 to starting college, so I am gone every weekday for at most 9 hours. Do you think this could be possibly be what the problem is?

Absolutely!! Went through the same thing with my 5 year old son when I went from being a SAHM to working full time. He was so nasty to me. It was heart breaking. IMO she is acting out because she is hurt and angry that you are no longer there full time. That is what I took from it when I went through this. Sorry I don't have an answer for you. Perhaps tell her you work to make money so you can buy her nice things like candy and toys. That seemed to help some. And that you would really appreciate it if she could help out by putting her toys away and getting to bed when it is bedtime.
    staynhomewith2

Answer by staynhomewith2 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Will she stay in her bed? If so, then don't argue with her. Let her sit there...she'll eventually fall asleep and realize she can't ruffle your feathers.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• No she doesn't stay in her bed at all. I don't mind her playing in her room quitely when it is bedtime, but she doesn't play quite nor stay in her room.
    supermama86

Comment by supermama86 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• my dd hasn't gone through phases of acting out, just like yours. It's normal and it's because they are trying to push the limits to see what they can get away with. My dd used to say the same things like "I don't care about that" or "I don't care if I don't get to watch tv". I didn't know what to do and what to take away, but slowly I did figure it out. So I'm sure there are things that she really likes that if you take away, she'll know that you mean business. Think about it, what does she really enjoy a lot? Do you have a "good behavior" chart for her or something? You just have to try to calmly and firmly tell her that there is no negotiation about bedtime and if she doesn't go to bed then she will lose a priviledge. If you can get the supper nanny book. She has very good tips in it. Good luck.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 11:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011