House rules

Need ideas to take back my home this summer. Kids ages 10 & 12 - think, they can stay up late, eat junk food all day. Summer isn't half over and I'm tired of it. The mess in the house.
1. No tv after 10pm. (Computer) ??? Cells phone ???
2. Eat meals durning the day. (I buy easy to prepair foods)
3. ????
What rules do you set to keep kids on track. The school year is more organized & the kids are busy with sports and stuff. Less time for slacking off.
They went to short day camps all of June, but there isn't anything for July & I cannot afford more camps
They do chores when asked & cleaned the entire house last Friday cuz they wanted to go to the movies. And yes, we went and my son had a friend stay over.
My dd is 12 and legaly old enough to stay home alone & I could never afford daycare for my two kids. We live in a small town with few options - the rich kids go to summer day camps from 8 - 5 for like $150. A week per kids. I don't have an extra $300. A week, sorry

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm not understanding the purpose of increasing the income so as to be able to provide care for their children. What does money have\ to do with respect and responsibility. My nephew is about that age and he's allowed limited video games.  The school gave them a package of schoolwork to do over the summer. It included reading a certain number of books and doing book reports on them all. There was also math sheets that had to be done. So guess what he'll be taking on his vacation to do during the drive?? Hmm,,, Good luck

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• okay suzy! Let me tell my boss he/she has to give me a raise! That will go over well... You make it sound so simple

Have you called around to local at home daycares? Most of the time they are cheaper then the other daycares.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I tell my dd that if she dosn't do her chores, 15-20 minutes of math, 1 hour of reading, and piano practice every day, then she won't get the privilege of swimming in the afternoon, no play dates, or movies or TV. She still tries to slack off, but I make sure she gets the consequence. Like today, she didn't do piano practice and I told her no swimming!! She didn't get to swim and now right before bedtime, she's practicing piano! I hate summer time also, because it seems like the kids don't want to be on a schedule.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 11:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Is your 12 yr old responsible enough to stay home alone? How about watch the 10 yr old?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Assign chores that need to be done daily, tell them they need to spend some time reading a book, and if possible have them do volunteer work.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• no friends over when you aren't home, no leaving the house without your permission.
    I'd also make up a chores chart... it will keep them busy while you are at work.. with a schedule of things to do during the same..

for example set the time you want them to be up.. say 9 am.. you want the dishes done, and the kitchen picked up.. by 2 am, you want their bedrooms cleaned up.. by the time you get home.. and you will phone during breaks, (maybe have them send a photo message with a pic to prove they did it or something).. on monday, and on tuesday.. maybe you want the trash taken out to the road, and the livingroom vacuumed.. etc etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• We have chores daily and things that must be done, like reading and tending the animals. My kids are younger than yours, but they also hate the structure when they think that because they are out of school they should just be lazy. I got my DDs in to swimming lessons for 2 weeks each, and they have to attend those, plus they have their other responsibilities. It drives my oldest nuts, but I think she is starting to see the benefits of having a routine in place. That way nothing gets forgotten, and she is ready for swimming lessons on time, etc. Make a checklist of things you want done every day, and put the junk food away so they either can't get to it or won't mess with it where it is. Tell them that the checklist has to be done every day before you come home.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• You need to increase your income so that you can provide care for your children.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 11:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2011