How would you feel if your boyfriend/husband told you all the time that your child has ADHD?

my boyfriend who is not the father of my daughter tells me all the time my daughter has adhd. She is only 4 years old, and we fight about it all the time.

Red2186

Asked by Red2186 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Tell him to shut his trap and if he cant handle a typical 4 yr old get the hell out
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Thank you, I do and we fight about it. He says cuz he has it, he sees it in her. I like to know how? Shes 4, cuz shes runs around like any other 4 year old. I would like to know a 4 year old that doesnt run around or isn't loud.
    Red2186

Comment by Red2186 (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Honestly, I would laugh because my son DOES have ADHD....but that being said, I would be angry also if I didnt know/think my child did. However, pay attention to her and look into the signs of ADHD. See if there's any truth behind it. Also looking into it and showing your BF what you've found may show him he needs to stop if she doesnt have any symptoms of ADHD. Many do not realize that it is serious and that there are real complications with an ADHD child! Good luck!
    sissy4444

Answer by sissy4444 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• yeah he would be gone
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 11:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• first he has no right to tell you that your daughter (not his) has ADHD... it's not a joke or even something you say if it is your child that is big... my husband has said that about our son and i had to let him know quick that those words should not be coming out of his mouth and that our son is only 2 and they have energy to burn.... i do tell my husband that he needs to relax and if he has to take a break then walk away for a minute... but i hate it when just ppl in general say that about kids... that is a serious disorder.

mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 11:38 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I think I would hand him a child development book & tell him to get back to me after he's read it with understanding.
    Anonymous

• What does the doc say? Why does he think your daughter has ADHD? Is he around many other children to know how children act? Does he have children of his own? Does he know how much it upsets you when he says it? If so he needs to GO!
    staynhomewith2

Answer by staynhomewith2 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Thank you everybody that does help. I am looking up the signs of adhd but they say you cant really tell intill there 6 or so. She just has a lot of energy and i expect every 4 year old does.
    Red2186

Comment by Red2186 (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• My mom says that about my 3-1/2 year old and it pisses me off too!! deal breaker alert
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• No he doesnt have any kids of his own. The doc said she doesnt and I told him that and he told me to get another doc. Oh he knows how much it upsets me and he said im being blind and im hurting her more then helping her. He has a step brother and he has ADHD and so does he, he says. But its annoying as hell to hear all the time. I have told him before that she is mine and he thows in my face if were gonna be together then I have a say too about her life. But I dont see how hes not the father or the stepfather for that matter.
    Red2186

Comment by Red2186 (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2011