How do you save money?

sonnyswoman75

Asked by sonnyswoman75 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• Don't spend it. Leave it in the bank. That's the ONLY way to SAVE money.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I save money by spending less than we make. If I want to save more then I just cut back on things I know I don't need.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:50 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I live off of cereal, pb&j sandwiches, and pancakes. We don't have any luxuries besides cable and internet, and even then it's the cheapest you can get. I don't work so that we don't have to pay for daycare. And I'm still wearing maternity clothes even though I'm 45 lbs lighter and they're huge on me. Hopefully I'll get into my pre-pregnancy clothes soon, I saved mostly all of them just in case.

If my husband would quit smoking like he said he would almost two years ago, maybe I could add eggs and some meat into my diet :/
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have my paycheck split. One bank i have $150 going to. That just for whatever i want to do. That i have a bank where i have just a savings acct and i dont have a debit card, nothing to allow me to get funds from that acct. I dont even think about it. $20 every two weeks go into the kids acct and the rest is for bills, groceries, whatever. I also have my own business which generates income and i usually just take have of what i make put it back in my business and the rest i either save or do.whatever i want
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 1:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My husband and I attended Financial Peace University about two years ago and it completely changed how we relate to money. We utilize a zero based budget and decide where every dollar goes before it even comes in. It's a Christian based program, but a lot of the information is very simple and easy to implement in your life. Check out www.daveramsey.com/fpu
    NooraK

Answer by NooraK at 7:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• We have part of our paychecks deposited into our 401Ks, another part deposited into savings accounts, and the rest to our checking account.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• We make sure we are turning off lights when they are not in use, don't waste water or electricity, we have a credit union account where money is directly deposited from DH's check. We don't buy things we don't need, and I try to be as frugal as I can when buying groceries, while still maintaining a good nutritional standpoint. Also, I try to be frugal with my hobbies, like finding things on clearance, and we recycle things and reuse as much as we can.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have $100 from each paycheck auto debited to a savings account.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If you are seeking ways to trim expenses there are tons of resources on line. The library is a great place to get ideas too. Read The Tightwad Gazette or the More With Less Cookbook for example. If you want to know physical means to save, here are a couple we use. We keep an emergency fund cushion in the bank. We budget savings and leave it in the bank and budget the rest in specific categories. Once the saving amount reaches a certain threshold we put it into a CD so we won't touch it. We pay for groceries and small purchases with cash. All change goes into a jar toward vacation blowing money. All leftover grocery dollars go into an envelope for a particular goal. We only use a no fee credit card for purchases once we've saved up for them and put the rewards away. One is for UPromise (college fund) the other gives my DH bookstore vouchers. We're sort of like squirrels, tucking bits away in various places.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 1:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I save by using lots of coupons. I love to find deals. There is a website called Beyond Mothers www.beyondmothers.com that have many online coupons.
    Singlemomma555

Answer by Singlemomma555 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2011