On forgiveness...

Do you forgive someone that hasn't asked for forgiveness? What if they continue the behavior and are not repentant at all? At what point does turning the other cheek become the wrong thing to do?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 10:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• We are not to hold things in this world. We are to forgive. But Christ said best about those who have done wrong and are not repentive. Shake the dust from your sandals and move on. He also said that if wrong has been done to you go to that person get it straightened out. If they refuse go to him with a witness. After that go to someone in authority. We are to do everything we can to straighten these things out.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I do b/c if I don't then I hold a grudge on that person which makes my life even more difficult... If they keep doing the same thing over and over... then yes it will never change. If it has only happened once... then forgive... if it has happened more than look more at what is going on and if that person is willing to change. If not, forgive and move on away from that person. You should always forgive b/c it will make you feel better!

Coastiegirl96

Answer by Coastiegirl96 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I think you can forgive that person and still cut them from your lives. Nothing says you have to forgive and then let them and their "bad" ways stick around you and your family/life/etc.

You, in the end, are the one who suffers the most from not forgiving. Its in your best interest to do so if just for your own peace of mind and soul.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 10:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• This question reminds me of a friend of mine. A friend that I met in highschool and stayed friends with for 8 years. 8 years of my life was spent being her friend. I was the one she cried to about boyfriends, that she moved in with when her mom kicked her out, that told her she was pregnant before she even knew. I was there for her. But she was never there for me. She was and still is a sweet girl. She doesn't realize what she does and she still does it. If it's not about her and her needs, it's not important. She doesn't feel like she owes anyone, whether she does or not. So I've had to forgive her for more things than I could possibly name. And I have forgiven her and will always forgive her, but she and I are no longer friends. My life is less dramatic. But I still love her dearly. She will always be like a sister to me, but I forgive her and I move on. That may be what you have to do.
    airmanswife1006

Answer by airmanswife1006 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• forgive immediately. so that your sins can be forgiven of you.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i forgive, but dont forget. I dont hold a grudge, but that doesnt mean that im going to continue to talk to you and withstand the whatever abuse your puting me through. I will be cordial when i come into contact with you, but I dont hold grudges b/c it just takes too much energy. Id say 3 strikes and your out.
    angelbaby2

Answer by angelbaby2 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Matthew 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 1:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• maybe it's my catholic upbringing but I don't forgive unless they say they are sorry and mean it.

hubby saying sorry for playing on his computer too much then going right back to it, he's not sorry or he wouldn't do it more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• There's a difference between forgiving and being silly enough to allow a person to keep doing bad things to you. So forgive always and as soon as you possibly can - hate is hardest on the person hating, not the person being hated. But you don't have to keep enduring that person.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Cont...
    For example, my father was abusive and used drugs. He made my life - my entire families life - miserable growing up. I forgave him a long time ago. I've let it go completely. I know he has shortcomings and accept that as a burder I once had to bear, but know it's a burden he'll forever bear. But I forgave him and then cut off contact. I'm not nasty to him. I don't hate him. I don't even dislike him. When I see him (maybe 1-2 times a year) I'm genuinely friendly. I'll hug him, I'll tell him I love him, I'll ask if there's anything he needs, and then I go about my life.

So basically, forgive someone, but don't let them drag your life down. Own your own life.
    Anonymous