Do you have a child that is ADHD and is on meds?

if so, can you tell a big difference? my son, is very hyper and i am just about certain is ADHD, i am considering having him tested .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• sorry to say, i think the whole ADD, ADHD.... is a way for prescription makers to make money on innocent children and ruin their bodies. try to quiet his life a little. my friend took ridalin(?) for ADD when he was younger and helped parkinsons disease develop quicker in his body, only 25 when diagnosed. ask yourself if chemicals are right for your child before they convince you to give them to him.
    Anonymous

• I myself was diagnosed with ADD when I was 6 years old and put on medication for it. However, my parents also took another step and took an active role in my education. They had meetings with my teachers once a week, I took all my tests in another classroom, I went to a behavior specialist, I could go on and on and on. They did this for years until they thought maybe they could take me off the medication (I was in 7th grade). I had at that time learned to modify my behavior. I still had many struggles at school but since my parents were wonderful and accommodating I always had someone to go to. It isn't bull, it is a learning disability. Medication isn't THE only solution though. There are many steps you have to take as a parent.

Anonymous

• I agree with the statements made in the previous posting. My 8 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was in Kindergarten and was put on Adderall XR. He had impulse control issues and was very disruptive and unable to sit at his desk in school. He was unable to follow multi-step directions. I didn't want to put my son on medication, but after giving the medication a try for only a week, was shocked at how calm and collected he became. He's still a typical little boy - active and a bit of a handful, but his energy level and behavior are appropriate.
    There are long term side-effects to a lot of the behavioral medications and the medications should be used along with therapy or some sort. I think of his medication kind of like a crutch to use while other behavior modification strategies are used.
    jesadkns

Answer by jesadkns at 2:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I worked with a lot kids with ADHD and part of my job was to dianose. Medication can work but it is not all that is involved. Therapy concentrating on behaviors and parenting can aslo be a BIG help. Medicines, IMO, help give a filter BUT they do not teach appropriate manners. Parenting a child with ADHD is more challenging and we do have be more creative. Medications that are out now are safe if you and your child's doctor work as a team. Many parents do not like the idea of using medicine. My personal thoughts: ADHD is a medical diagnosis. If your child were a diabetic you wouldn't withold insulin. But I do always caution that it important to get the right professional to make that diagnosis.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:27 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• cont..I love pediatrians but they are an in general doctor for children. Ask for a referal to a therapist who works in an office with a pychiatrist. It will be worth it. Depression, anxiety, adjustments, trauma...so many other disorders have the exact signs and symptoms as ADHD. A good therapist will be able to take the time to assess what is going on. A pediatrian, while they are wonderful, can't take the time to tease out all the aspects of your child's world and make a distinction between the two. But a therapist and pychiatrist do have that time, ability, and training. Many people think ADHD is over diagnosed. True to a point in that many kids actually have anxiety or depression for example and not ADHD. Then it is also under diagnosed in that fact that so many people dismiss it as being poor parenting. I hope you are able to get the assistance that is right for you and your child.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I was told when my daughter was 3 I should get her tested but I refused. I was thinking "A 3 yr old with ADHD?" I was against meds and even if they did say she had it ...I was going to deal with it the natural way. At age 7 (in 2nd grade) she was falling WAY behind in school. She is not a bad kid, she doesn't have anger issues ....she's just hyper. She wasn't sitting still long enough to finish any work done and she'd come home bombarded with her unfinished work on top of her homework. We'd get no where! So I decided to put her on meds and it was life changing for her. She finished off the school year with good report cards and her last report card this year she had straight A's and the best marks in conduct. So I totally don't regret anything we've gone through. I would much rather see her get straight A's than F's.
    Anonymous

• Oh my my! If they came out with a medication for a physical disease would people feel the medication companies were so bad then. This is a mental illness. Just like some diabetics need pills, others need insulin and some just need to watch what they eat. This is similar. You need to find the severity of your son's diagnosis (if he even has ADHD) and take it from there. Like the person who had ADD said, it is not a magic pill however it assists some children with controlling themselves until they can find ways to do it themselves. It has to be a combination of many things. However some need meds and I am grateful that they are available for my son!!!
    Zina4

Answer by Zina4 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Hi, my son was diagnosed at 3 with ADHD/OCD. He is 11 now. It IS NOT a fake disease. That is just plain ignorant. Yes, IF your son is ADHD or ADD and you give him medication you will see a big difference.  I actually wrote more to this answer but it only allows so many characters... I hate that, lol.  Please feel free to contact me if you like.  I am an ADHD advocate and really believe that these kids are blessed.  They are really bright kids.  I have one who is and one who isn't.  My son who is not is very hyper, but it is not ADHD, he is just all boy.  Please feel free to contact me, thecatdidit@sbcglobal.net, if you want I can email you the rest of the answer I was going to put here, lol.  And I am here if you just need some encouragement.  Raising a kid with ADHD is hard, but they can have a perfectly normal life.  I hope this helped!!!  Good Luck!!

thecatdidit

Answer by thecatdidit at 4:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• my 10yr old is on meds, i dont see a difference, but the school does and he gets (most)of his school work done and thats whats important his teachers see a BIG difference when he is off meds i thought about asking for a different med that lasted longer, but since he is managing his schoolwork i can get through the day without strangeling him all the time (just some of the time :))

i also disagree with zina4, its not a mental illness, its a nurological one which you can out grow or learn to controll better

bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We use natural meds with my 2 who have ADD/ADHD tendencies. I won't use the methamphetamine drugs because I disagree with putting things like that into my children's bodies, so we decided to treat what was wrong by actually correcting it. We do work on behavior modification and coping skills, as well as a short list of nutritionals. (I have a journal post about it and you're welcome to ask questions.) Right now, the difference in $ a school sys. receives from the Fed Govt with a normal child and one with a "label" is about $5000 and 1/3 of all boys are labelled. Seriously consider every option before you choose. My cousin's son went on one of the newer drugs a month ago and so far has already lost 7 lbs. Just because a Dr prescribes it and FDA approves it, doesn't always mean it's a great thing.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2008