How to build up breast milk production?

My neighbor has an 18 day old lil boy. She is wanting to breastfeed him but he is already eating up to 5 and 6oz of milk at a time. He supply isn't keeping up with his demand of milk. She is looking for anything to help increase her milk production. Recipes, certain foods, drinks, medicine...you name it. If you can please comment with what helps please do. She is feeling like a bad momma b/c she can't keep up and is very adiment about breastfeeding. She has talked to a lactation consultant already too and they have prescribed her a medication to maybe help. She just wants to know everyway possible to help. Thank you in advance.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh my baby was the same!
    Oatmeal is a good food source. She must drink at least a gallon of water a day. You can buy tea called "mother's milk" that will help production. It helps if you pump everytime after he feeds to get all the milk out and it tells the breasts to make more milk. Of course save the pumped milk for bottles. Good luck to her!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I've heard that the herbal supplement called "fenugreek" will help. I've never taken it, so I can't be sure...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Nurse nurse nurse!!! :)
    TracyBands

Answer by TracyBands at 4:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2011