How to build up breast milk production? I asked this in general parenting but thought i would here too

How to build up breast milk production?
My neighbor has an 18 day old lil boy. She is wanting to breastfeed him but he is already eating up to 5 and 6oz of milk at a time. He supply isn't keeping up with his demand of milk. She is looking for anything to help increase her milk production. Recipes, certain foods, drinks, medicine...you name it. If you can please comment with what helps please do. She is feeling like a bad momma b/c she can't keep up and is very adiment about breastfeeding. She has talked to a lactation consultant already too and they have prescribed her a medication to maybe help. She just wants to know everyway possible to help. Thank you in advance.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh my baby was the same!
    Oatmeal is a good food source. She must drink at least a gallon of water a day. You can buy tea called "mother's milk" that will help production. It helps if you pump everytime after he feeds to get all the milk out and it tells the breasts to make more milk. Of course save the pumped milk for bottles. Good luck to her!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I was returning to work and felt I needed a "freezer stash" so I wouldn't be forced to pump one day to use the next. I built up my supply by pumping on one side while breastfeeding on the other. Now I am producing TOO much! Baby eats a 4 oz bottle, and each time I pump I get around 8 oz.

Perhaps getting a good breast pump would help?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Fenugreek. You can get it at whole foods stores. If you are taking as much as you need for it to help production, you start to smell like maple syrup. The LC that I saw told me to take 3 capsules 3 times a day. Also, Mother's Milk Tea and Lactation cookies. The cookies have brewer's yeast and oatmeal, both of which are supposed to increase supply.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• How does she *know* how much he is drinking if she is breastfeeding?
    Is she weighing him before & after feedings?

Or is she pumping?
    If she's pumping she can stop that and nurse at the breast to increase the normal supply-and-demand process. Pumps work differently than baby suckling.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Oat meal
    Fenugreek--totally organic and safe, I think it's 1-3 pills, 3 times daily
    You can drink a beer, if you feel safe enough to do so, I remember a nurse telling me thats what she used to do
    there are teas you can buy at health food stores
    drink lots of water, eat protein, take your vitamins
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• How is she judging supply? Is she nursing on demand, no matter how long, no matter how often?

Nothing will help unless she does this FIRST. Baby on the breast. She needs to expect baby will STAY on the breast the vast majority of a 24-hour day.

Her bottles are way too big... cut 'em in half. Really. Baby gets an upset tummy form big bottles and then things get worse.

Can you connect her with the Breastfeeding Moms group here? We've helped lots of moms just like her. I suspect her supply is dandy but her nursing management needs help. You can assist her by hiding all her timepieces... NO timing at all. Baby on the breast at first sign of hunger. Baby stays on till she comes off on her own. Burp, offer side two. Repeat till baby doesn't want it any more.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Nurse ON DEMAND. As often, and for as long as baby wants to. Even it baby just nursed 8 minutes ago. Just nurse again. And again. And again. Really. That is the BEST way to build supply. Is she supplementing now? If so, I'd probably gradually decrease the supplements over the course of a few days and just increase nursing. Will the baby fuss without the bottle? Probably, because you don't have to work to get the milk from a bottle. But that's OK. The fussing will help build supply even more. Can you provide more information, so we can give more accurate advice? 5-6 oz of what? For a newborn, even FF, that seems like a lot for each feeding. If she's supplementing, can you find out about how many times a day she's nursing, and how much a day she's supplementing? And why she thought a supplement was needed in the first place?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011