12 yr old responsability...

Do you expect your 12 yr old to shower, brush teeth and wash face without being told.
Am I expecting to much?
She has black-heads on her nose, she nose looks purple because its so bad. I buy her stuff to use - but I don't feel like I should have to stand over her every night to make sure she does it.
She didn't shower for two / three days - her hair was gross.
Then I worry about her not brushing her teeth - gross!

Is she to young for these responsabilities?

Yes, I see her every evening but I don't inspect her - we went out this evening & I really looked at her hair. Ugh.. I know, acne is hard & its just starting, but wouldn't she want to prevent it.

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 1:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have the same problem with my 12 yo dd esp now since Summer has come into play. Was she responsible when school was on? Mine was and now she thinks everything should be ignored except FUN THINGS! I am telling my girl over and over fun things come if you are responsible. I think I will be telling her that till she's 18. lol
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 7:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It depends on the kid. For yours, I would probably say that no, she's not mature enough to do those things. The acne would really be up to her, but I'd say get on her for not bathing or brushing her teeth.
    Uhura

Answer by Uhura at 2:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think a twelve year old is old enough to handle this kind of responsibility without having to be told. Have you though of consequences for the not bathing? My parents gave me a set time to bathe and eat or I went without,. If I did not take a shower when told; then I didn't get to go out for the weekend. I think at 12 you should know how to take care of your own personal hygiene.

Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 2:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If she is 12 she should WANT to keep herself clean..
    Wanabmommy

Answer by Wanabmommy at 3:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have to tell my 12 year old every day to take a shower. They are still a little young.
    BrendaW.

Answer by BrendaW. at 4:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2011

• Glad to.hear, she's not alone.
    SassySue123

Comment by SassySue123 (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Jul. 1, 2011