Are you REALLY a witch?

It seems like there are a lot of women claiming to be "witches".
1) What are you & what do you believe?
2) Have you explored other religions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• i wouldnt say i am a witch persay. I would be concerted a white witch. A white witch is someone who dont aflict harm apond anyone....
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Can't say I'm a witch:) I don't really have a religion, but most my beliefs fall under Buddhism.
    Anonymous

• oh yeah i also looked into a lot of diff belifes. i was baptist for a long time. just wasnt me.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I think that there are many people who would like to be "something". The modern definition of witch/witchcraft is different then the "old" definition/meaning. Witchcraft can involve paganism. But, not all pagans are witches.  So, in asking this question I hope you are ready for a wide variety of answers lol. 

For myself I do consider myself a witch.  I am who I am.  I believe that I could try and explain my beliefs and you probably wouldnt understand as no two people are alike. 

My upbringing is in the Methodist church.  I have read and studied different religions.  I have not tried them personally. 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Yes.

I am a practitioner of Neo-Pagan religion. I consider myself to be an Eclectic, Earth-based, Wiccish, Kitchen Witch.

I am a "recovering Catholic" who searched long and hard before "coming Home" to Paganism.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Yes I am a witch.

1 I consider myself a shamanistic irish witch with eclectic tendencies (aka strong shaman practices strong irish witch practices but have beliefs and practices from a variety of sources.)

2 Yes I have studied and continue to study many other belief systems. Knowledge is empowerment.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 11:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Whether one is a witch or not has more to do with whether they choose to embrace and/or reclaim the term "witch" than anything else. Many (but not all) Wiccans claim the word, but so do many non-Wiccans. Most of the Wiccans I know who do not use the word witch do not practice any form of spellcrafting/magick. Non-Wiccan witches do not embrace Wiccan religious beliefs, but they usually do practice some form of magick. I personally choose to embrace the term witch because my primary religious path is eclectic Wiccan/Pagan (though I encorporate others), and I also practice divinations, spellcasting, herbalism, healing, energy work, etc. And, yes, I have explored MANY religions. I guess you could say it's a hobby of mine. Religious beliefs fascinate me.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:28 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I've explored many religions. Religion is beautiful and I quite enjoy the study of ALL religions. I'm a bit of an expert on the matter as I've studied it all my adult life.

I'm a witch. I don't fly on a broom - no one does. I don't cast evil spells - though it is possible and some dark witches might do this. I don't cause harm to anyone. I pray like anyone else.

We're just earth based people - good people! We harm no one -- if you're Wiccan, it's your crede.
    We believe we are all connected to the Mother Earth. We feel a connection to the elements. We feel a connection to the Moon and the Sun.

And not everyone who calls themselves witches are witches. I think some do it for the shock value and don't live it in reality.

I belive it is either in you or not. I've always felt it within me, even as a small child. It's impossible to deny those feelings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I am a witch and proud to be so! I am pagan and strive to stick as closely to the ancient pagan religions as possible. Although I would be considered neo-pagan I try to follow the old ways myself. I am not wiccan but do follow some of the same basic principals. I have studied many other religions and never felt any faith in them. To me this is the only way I could ever be. My computer battery is going to die, but if you have any questions about how or what I believe feel free to PM me...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Just to clear things up a bit witchcraft is not a religion...it is practice. You can be of any religious persuasion and theological opinion and still be a witch. What is determined to be 'witchcraft' is culturally defined, and is a product of society and history. To be a witch, one must be able to define themselves as such--and some people choose not to.

(cont)
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2008