Milled Flax Seed

I was excited because I actually found Flax Seed at the store, but when I got home I noticed it was milled Flax Seed. As a nutritionist, I realize milling takes most of the nutritional value away, but I don't know if it's worth returning or not.

Anyone use Flax Seed, that can ease my mind?

charisma10

Asked by charisma10 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Food & Drink

• The best flax seed to use is organic MILLED flax seed. Your body cannot breakdown whole flax seed as effectively as it can breakdown milled flax seed. Whole flax seed cannot be digested, milled flax seed allows your body to fully aborb the beneficial Omega 3s. Plus, it is rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals.

However, you are right, you should buy your flax seed whole and grind them yourself in a coffee grinder as pre-milled flax seed quickly loses its beneficial properties once exposed to oxygen. I wouldn't return the milled flax seed. I would use it up quickly and then remember to buy whole flax seed in the future. Pre-milled flax seed is still better than none.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• If you are cooking a vegan recipe and need a great alternative to regular egg replacer, a tablespoon of ground flax with two tablespoons of water works great for the replacement of one egg. I use it in all of my vegan baking recipes and it works like a charm, and the finished product is always moist and delicious.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Keep them in the freezer so that they won't spoil. They don't last as long when milled.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:21 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Thanks for the answers, I'm going to return it for something better. I won't be able to use it fast enough anyways.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 15, 2008