Has anyone had major back surgery here if so how much pain is involved

starlia34

Asked by starlia34 at 2:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Health

• Really depends where and what type. My husband's had two - one to remove pieces of a broken disc and one to fuse two vertebrae (same place). The first one wasn't as invasive, he had a little pain for a few days after, but after the first few days, it was manageable with Tylenol. The second one was much longer recovery, and he needed prescription pills for a while after. In both cases, the pain he was in after wasn't nearly as bad as the pain he was in while he waited for the surgery.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:36 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• DH had surgery in January after breaking his L4 and L5 and pinching the nerves between the broken bones (the break happened in September). He had rods and screws placed in the vertebrae to help healing. He's been off work since late January. I think (suspect) he will go back to work mid - to late July. His pain, like NotPanicking mentioned has been there but it's not been anything at all like it was prior to surgery.

Good luck! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 2:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My bf did and said it wasnt to bad.
    sweety678

Answer by sweety678 at 3:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my mother had back surgery Dec 27th in Houston, Tx, the dr made some mistakes with the surgery & she was in very bad pain and unable to move in bed resulting in a blood clot to her lungs on 7 Jan 2011... she did not make it. So if u are in Houston, Tx I think a more experienced Dr may be best for u.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I just had my 3rd back surgery on June 17, 2011. (Previous low-back surgery November 2010 & Oct. 1995) I had herniated discs in L4+L5 - the sciatica pain down my leg was sooo bad! The surgeries took the disc material off my nerve route relieving my leg and foot pain! The pain of the sciatica was worse than the pain from getting over the back surgery! Make sure your Neurosurgeon has a good reputation!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• If the  pain is bearable to handle, it is best that you this with a doctor, to avoid any kind of complication. See also DePuy

pinnaclelawsuit

Answer by pinnaclelawsuit at 2:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2012