? for dog breeders/people who have bought dogs from breeders....

For the first time in my life I have decided to get 2 dogs from a breeder because I want puppies. I have never done this before, all of our dogs have been shelter adoptees and re-homed dogs from people who were considering taking them to the shelter. We lost our precious Buckeye on 1/25/11 after he suffered smoke damage to his lungs due to a house fire and on 6/26/11 we lost our beloved Daisy due to mammary cancer. We had had Buckeye for 10 years and almost 2 mos., he was a shelter rescue & we had Daisy for just a couple of days over 9 years, she was adopted at 4 mos. old from a woman who found her on the side of the road in a box. Both were awesome dogs and their loss is being felt so hard right now.. We have 3 other dogs of our own....a Yorkie who is almost 9 (a rescue who has been with us since he was approx. 2 mos. old), a Silkie who is 4 (re-homed & with us for 2 1/2 years) and a Lab/Boxer mix who is 3 1/2 (a shelter rescue & with us since she was 4 mos. old) and we have a 1yo Pom/Yorkie mix who we are fostering. We would like to add 2 new dogs to our family soon after we move back in to our home (which is being rebuilt because of the house fire in Jan., we should be back in by the end of Aug..) and we have decided that this time we want to get puppies and we want to go through a breeder (we have fallen for this little Pom/Yorkie mix and want to get 2 Pom/Yorkie puppies). I expect negative feed back from this choice, I myself have been 100% pro-rescues for years but this time, I want to start with new to the world puppies because that's just the route I want to take this time.yway...I know nothing of looking for a breeder, what questions to ask, etc. and that's what I am asking here. For those who are breeders or who have bought from breeders....what should we look for, ask and expect from a breeder?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pets

• Hi! First, I'm not going to bash youbfor this decision! I'm proud to see people making the breeder decision! Makes good work worth while. That being said, be sure to do your research. Not just on the breed, but the breeder.
    First, do not pay designer-dog prices. These unregisterable mixes are not able to compete in breed shows, therefore don't need an expensive price tag. Look for under $250.

THE BREEDER:
    Do they have references?
    Are they certified?
    Can they pass an inspection?
    Is this a home or commercial operation?
    Sire and dam both on site and available to meet?

THE DOGS:
    What are the parents' temperaments?
    Parents' eyes, ears, teeth clean, clear, and straight?
    Does mom have 10 teats?

PUPPIES
    Active, playful?
    Ears clean inside? (This will help you determine the overall cleanliness of the facility)
    Eyes clear?
    Solid poops?
    Walking/running/jumping just a
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• You are looking to get a mutt so what you would be doing if you went to a "breeder" is supporting puppy mills and back yard breeders. No reputable breeder would intentionally breed mutts. I really am not understanding you logic. You want to get a puppy so you want to go to a breeder but you are looking to get a mutt. Shelters have young puppies too and frankly their "designer dogs are cheaper then from a "breeder". Since this Fad started it has given puppy mills and backyard breeders anything they was together give it a stupid name and charge to much money for with even less regard to the health and quality of the dogs they breed.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• As well or better than litter mates?
    Vocal?
    Aggressive to litter mates?

BE SURE TO GET ALL VETERINARY RECORDS.

You will want to be sure not to get the most outgoing, nor the most calm puppy. You want two that are close in range of temperament, and climb/play with you regardless if siblings are trying to beat them to it. Breeding is not for the uneducated. Make sure they had shots on time, current, and have a full health certificate from their vet before bringing them home. Any reputable breeder will offer this, or will not deny this to you if you ask.

Overall, take your time, and find someone that suits your lifestyle. This may not be the closest breeder, nor the least expensive. Just remember, (with low-maintenance breeds) it can cost $125 AND MORE to raise a puppy to 8wks when all vet care and documentation is properly handled.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree with matobe.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Thank you SO MUCH matobe. Those are exactly the questions I wanted answered.

The the 1st poster, this time I want a dog from the beginning. I have, for 25 years, supported shelter rescues and have been anti-breeders. That means I have taken in countless animals (dogs, guinea pigs and hedgehogs) that have bad habits, emotional issues, issues with humans, etc.. When we got Daisy and Buckeye, my 2 dogs who passed in the 2 worse ways (because of a house fire and cancer) we got immensely lucky. They had both come from loving environments and had no hang ups or issues and were trained well. Our Yorkie male was young when we got him (a stray rescued from a snow storm) so we were able to raise him from puppyhood and like the other 2 he had no hang ups or issues. That's 3 out a about 30 dogs we have had (some were just fosters), the others came to us at ages ranging from 4-5 mos. old to 3-4 years and they ALL had issues and bad
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• habits. Human shy, even after years and years with us, hard to potty train (because their previous humans allowed them to potty inside with no discipline, etc.. And this time I don't want dogs with issues compliments of their previous humans. I don't really care if YOU approve or not.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2011