5 weeks pregnant and cant sleep, is Benadryl okay 3-4 nights a week?

I cant get ahold of my doctor over the last 2 days and need to get to sleep? I have been up the last 3 nights and am absolutely exhausted. I have been reading other sites and it says it's okay to take Benadryl, but I'm nervous, this is my first baby and I dont wanna screw it up...please help? And if I can take it, do I take a 1/2 or 1 or 2 or not at all, any help would really help put me at ease! Thanks :)

MOMMYHINZE

Asked by MOMMYHINZE at 10:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I popped Benadryl like nobody's business. Every night. I took 1-2 of them a night.
    Anonymous

• talk to your dr first....
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 10:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• You can also buy Unison and Yes doctors will approve of this while pregnant. It's better than Benadryl. It doesn't make you feel like a zombie in the mornings. You can buy it at any drug store.
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't... but i was really nervous during my entire first trimester. from my experience, lack of sleep is the norm from pregnancy on....
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Not sure about taking something without asking your doc. I am 28 weeks prego, and I wouldnt chance it. Your only 5 weeks and your baby is so critical right now being in the first trimester. Just try a big glass of milk and a lousy movie. Keep trying to get ahold of your doc.
    adupuie

Answer by adupuie at 10:37 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My doctore gave me a form and Benadryl is okay, so is Unisom and Tylenol.
    Anonymous

• the first trimester is the scariest. your mind is probably racing. try to relax... i tell myself to shut up and go to sleep some nights when my mind is going.... try not to take anything.
    Anonymous

• I'm one of those people who was too scared to take Tylenol for fear of the baby up until I was about 28 wks or so. if it were me, I'd say no. but i have heard that benedryl is ok to take.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:42 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I don't think you should. Try Sleepytime Tea. It has herbal mix that makes you sleepy. I am of the mind set to avoid anything that might harm the baby, especially in the first trimester.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I took it I had pupps and i is the only thing that would help me sleep. I took it every night after about 13 weeks when i started the pupps and my daughter came out FINE she was born at 38 weeks and weighed 8lbs 6 ozs. the dr is the one who told me to take it. they tell me to take it now when i cant sleep but i dont because it isnt as bad as it was with the itching and stuff that was murder for me.
    Anonymous