What is with the "nunny" game?

Okay, I'm a naive first time mother, but what is with this pacifier game? My baby is only 6 weeks old and it's a constant game when he's fussy, spit it out... I get it and give it back and he settles for 10 minutes... repeat...
He's already on "gripe water" which has helped a ton with the gas/burping problem, but this spit out the "nunny" and us getting it and giving it back is getting ridiculous. Yesterday it was all day long, from 6 a.m. till we went to bed at 11:00 p.m. Fussy for no reason?? And this a.m., he's starting again????

kdenise977

Asked by kdenise977 at 5:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never used paci's with my kids. I'd just nurse them nearly constantly for about the first 3 months of their lives. :/ But even small babies will test you to see if you are there to respond to their needs, and maybe that's what he's up to. :D Enjoy your little man; they grow up very very fast. Don't resent his little quirks. They all soon pass.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 5:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I've never used one, so he's never needed one, he's learned to self soothe :) he does however need a comfort blanket SOMETIMES to get him to sleep if he's teething or something.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 6:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• He's playing. If it's not that it's something else. They like the throw something down and you give it to them game. In others words fetch in reverse.
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My daughter was always spitting hers out too, but not on purpose, she would just suck so hard that it would shoot right out of her mouth. My MIL gave us some good advice, when we lay her down we lightly put a burp cloth around the it, holds it in place, and no it doesn't suffocate them. You just put where the paci is to hold it in place. Worked wonders with us, now that she is older she can actually keep it in her own mouth.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• He could be spitting it out on accident, at this age they don't have a whole lot of control over their body yet. He could also not really want it and you're using it as a "mute button" for his fussiness. :P Maybe try some other things before trying to give him the pacifier. My son was alllllll about his binky then around 4 months old he was over it. I took the hint and hid all of them for the next baby! He didn't even notice.
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Oops misread that this morning sorry. I saw months not weeks. Yea he's not doing it on purpose.
    daps

Answer by daps at 4:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2011