What would you do in this situation?

Would you let your 12 yo dd go with several girls going to an adventure park when you don't know the person taking them? I don't know her morals and I found out that when this person took her step daughter and a friend she let them split up and go on rides without her being present. Would that be ok with you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Yeah, my kids will not go anywhere with anyone unless I know them. And by knowing them I don't mean saying hi once when we run into each other at school. I mean actually having talked with them a few times, getting a good sense of who they are and what they're like, and all that. I would be worried sick if my kids were out somewhere with someone who was a perfect stranger to me. I mean, just because she has kids does not mean that she is a good mom or has the same morals or enforces the same rules as me..she may let her daughter do certain things that I don't allow mine to do..things like that...
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 6:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2011

• If I did not know the person taking them, I would NOT let my child go. When my dd was growing up I had to know who, what, where, when and why about everything she did. I have a sd now and there have been many times that she has friends over either to play and even sleep overnight and we have never even spoken with their parents! How do these people know what their kids are doing and if they are safe if they don't know who they are with?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Is it just one adult taking several kids or will it be other adults as well? Is there anyway you can go too?
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Does she have a cellphone? Do the other girls? I would let her just meet the person before they and if ur daughters going with close friends theyre not going to want to be separate the other girls probably didnt have the same group of friends and nor
    T to say anything bad will happen but if it does it will happen wether the person is there or not the park people should know wat to do anyways
    ListaPaMas

Answer by ListaPaMas at 6:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I usualy wont let my kids go to a party or somewhere with a parent I dont know. Once I did only because one of the other girls going with I know the parents very well and we share the same ideas/morals. I had to tell my ten yr old she couldnt spend the night at a friends who's parents I know - because they were going to watch the movie paranormal. My daughter told them why she couldnt and they changed the movie. We have to be the voice for our children
    cluemein

Answer by cluemein at 3:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Not if I didn't know the person, and especially not if I found out that the last time she wasn't even watching them the whole time. I would offer to go with to help out.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i don't think it's a big deal. as long as they're splitting up in groups. amusement parks are set up so that no one can get in with out having to pay. this also means that no one's going to be able to get out unless they go through the main entrance. i'm pretty sure your 12 year old daughter is old enough to let someone snatch her up and take her out a main gate without letting someone know whats going on. i think you should talk to the adult who is taking the kids and then let her go.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 8:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I wouldn't allow my 12 year old to go anywhere without a parent that I knew very well. And I wouldn't allow them to run around unattended. Too many things can happen nowadays.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Probably as long as the person taking her is a parent. I'd be ok with them splitting up too as long as they had a buddy and a meeting place.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No. Why dont you go with them? It would be fun for you, give you a chance to get to know the friend's mom, and you can keep an eye on your child. That way dd still gets to go but you dont have to worry. And next time she asks to go somewhere with this friend you will know them a little better and know what to say.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 29, 2011