Hemoglobin

I got a call from my doctor that said my hemoglobin was 6 and it should be 12.
Is this dangerous?
They ordered more tests, is this something that I should hurry and get taken care of, or is it no big deal?

I have never heard of low hemaglobin, I just want to know if it is something serious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Health

• Yes it is a big deal, if it drops any lower they will and should hospitalize you. I had the same problem, it means you only have half the blood in your body that you are supposed to have, this causes your heart to work harder, this can be very serious, i was put in the hospital, they called me at 3am 4am and 5 am til i answered and told me to go to the ER. i ignored it for awhile then when chest pain started i gt scared and went a month later, i was in for 3 days, got 2 blood transfusions and iron and potassium. Take care of it right away! And DO not exercise or anything strenuous. Good luck
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• They will put you iron supplements....no big deal. If it is bad enough they might give you iron through an IV (happened to me after my c section), not a really big deal, most people are on iron supplements. You can try to increase it yourself by eating more red meat.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• if you have low hemoglobin, and you are pregnant, you could be anemic, which is not good for you or your baby. that is why they check it with every blood test you get, try to eat more iron rich foods, because hemoglobin is what carries oxygen to your baby and your own vital organs, it IS very important. Most prenatal vitamins are high in iron. i would talk to your doctor if you are pregnant.....
    barrelracer1977

Answer by barrelracer1977 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• nope not pregnant.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2011