What is your definition of American?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 8:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Accepted definition of american? born/raised/naturalized in the US.

My definition of American born/raised/naturalized in the Americas.
    :-)
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• So, if someone comes here from another country, but goes through the process of becoming an American citizen...are they not considered American?
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• A big Country with a lot of different people in it living together as well as they can.

Answer by louise2 at 8:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• OK, i see you wrote naturalized, i guess that counts as becoming an American Citizen right?
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Sorry red it wrong. I thought you said America, not American.

A person who is born or legally became an American.

Answer by louise2 at 8:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• sorry, I meant to include people that go though the process of becoming a US citizen in my definition as well. although, that is a bit trickier. You can be an american citizen and still not consider yourself an american.

I'm beginning to consider myself an america, since I've been in the states more than 10 years and my way of thinking and my expectations have been warped by the american culture. I don't quite fit in back home much anymore, I act like an american when i visit.
    However, I didn't consider myself an american until recently. Whenever anyone asked me if I was american I would reply that I was Puertorican, which I am, but I'm an american citizen. it always confused people. But that's how I felt. Then again, I didn't go through a process to become american, i was born american. I supposed to someone that goes through the process to get an american citizenship, they would probably consider themselves american.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Although, still, most of my friends that have gone through the process and gotten their us citizenship still consider themselves Venezuelan, Dominican, Haitian, etc. So I guess it depends on whose point of view.

Does it make any sense?
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My mom is Argentine..she is so funny...she'll tell EVERYBODY she is American. But, when American ideals don't flow with hers...she all of a sudden says she is Argentine....
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Spend beyond their means and materialistic.

Sorry but I was using Obama as my example for this definition. Not all fit under the definition I gave.

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• An American is anyone born in or naturalised citizen to anywhere in the Americas. (many people consider it in the United States of America only, but it's an ambiguous term- it's the best we have though).

An incredibly diverse group, it's hard to define them in any other way! You can generalise, but we aren't ALL anything- conservative, liberal, hard-working, combative, flag-wavers, whiners, gun-toters, monolingual, well-educated, ignorant, English-speaking, illegal, drug-using, evangelical, prudish, insular... I can think of Americans who meet all of those terms and none.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2011