Should I send my son to private school or save the money?

My son starts 1st grade in the fall and we live in New Mexico and the public schools here are NOT very good, however, private school is going to cost us $700 a month.

I am trying to decide if we should save that money (we have literally zero in a savings account and retirement and live paycheck to paycheck) and send him to public school or bite the bullet and send him to private school.

He is currently in a great daycare and well ahead of other kiddos his age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• This money you want to save will be the best spend money you have ever spend. If you can make it work I would do it in a heart beat, our public school system is not the best and you will be giving him a head start on his education, this is the best gift you will ever give him. But choose your private school carefully, do your homework and research it to the hilt.

Answer by older at 8:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• what's the cost of daycare per month?

I found out that in my area, the private school is not much more than the daycare costs.

If you send him to a substandard public school you will need to supplement his learning at home. I went to public school my whole life and it was fine, but I went to good public schools.
    Some times you can get into a program in the private school that can help pay for the expense, a scholarship, etc.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• can you move some place where they have a better school system? You can also pay to take your child to another public school system that's better than yours. There are a few kids in my DD's school who come from far away because their school system sucks. They have to pay a small tuition though, since they don't live in that school district. But, it's not $700...i think it's around $300...might even be less. Research good schools near by & see what you come up with, you might be able to send him to a different public school.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:36 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Wait until he gets older. We sent him to catholic school in 6th grade. The middle school has 4 police officers....GL, I wish you the best.
    geminilove7717

Answer by geminilove7717 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If you can not afford to send him to privat school. That it sound like you can't. Send him to public school.

Answer by louise2 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Apply for financial aid and send him to private.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Depends on if you want him to get a good education or not. I would never under any circumstances send my child to a public school nowadays.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Pay for private school OR move to a good school district.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Unfortunately we cannot move for at least 10 years which is when my stepson will be 18 or we would definitely move out of here.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• What about a Charter School?
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2011