HPV anyone?

I hear it's very common.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Health

• Very Very common - so many people have it and are not even diagnosed.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my sister has it. from what i've heard, it won't actually harm you. it does, however, make you more prone to cervical cancer.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 8:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• That's what they want you to believe so they can push the vaccine on you, that only covers 4 out of 106 viruses, but it's a great way to scare people.

so many people have it and are not even diagnosed.

So how do the docs know they have it if it wasn't diagnosed? That doesn't even make sense.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It is common....I've been scared that i have it because i understand that there are so many strains of it, that makes it real hard to test for it.

I found out after my divorce that my ex had it (which is why i was worried). He cheated though & we didn't have much of a sex life...so i was not sure if i had it or not. My Gyno tells me she has no reason to believe that i have it. She even said that some people who have good immune systems can kill the virus & they can become immune to certain strains. But, she said people who cannot over come the virus usually get some sign they have it, most likely warts. ALSO, some people can carry the virus..never get symptoms & pass it to others. It's a scary lil virus....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I say that becaue I work in the ob/gyn field.. lots of women come in with 0 symptoms for a routine pap and then find out they have it.. so they are later diagnosed. but there are male carriers and women that have it with no symptoms and do not get routine paps, therefore they would not be diagnosed. Just like many other diseases. Its not to scare anyone.. the docs will say this will only cover a few strands, not all of them (just like the flu shot) but imo wisdom says go ahead and get the vaccine that is available and reduce some of the risk. I had the flu once and decided from then on I would by vaccinated. They dont force the vaccine on anyone so its not anything someone should take personally. It is not anything to be scared of and no docs that I have worked for indicated it was. They biopsy and watch for any abnormal cells developing. Nothing wrong with being informed. Thats why we get yearly mammo right?
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I was with a guy before my husband that apparently had it and he gave it to me....i didnt know it and neither did he until i went in for my yearly pap
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• They say that upward of 80% of people who have ever had unprotected sex with someone other than a virgin have one form or another of HPV. Only a handful of the over 100 strains are actually harmful, though. And unless you pay extra and really want to know, they only test for the harmful strains in the paps.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• some companies insurance wont even cover those.. Walmart Insurance did not for a long time.. I think they might now but I am not sure. Womens health does not seem to be taken very seriously when it comes to preventative care. They want to increase the age on mammograms. I think thats sad.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011