Anxiety and Depression

Does anyone have experience with long term depression and anxiety. It is just something that has run in my family for generations and it has hit me hard since early teen years.

It got worse in my twenties and now as I have gotten older it is becoming almost debilitating even with prayer, psychotherapy and medication. I have spoken to my doctor and they have changed my medicines but nothing seems to be helping and right now it is at its worst. I follow a strict diet and am under my doctors care for my depression, anxiety and diabetes; I get outside every day and walk, read my Bible and pray and I volunteer as much as I can but when you don't have a car it makes it hard also but nothing seems to be helping.

If anyone has any experience with it, I'd appreciate your thoughts on it. Please no negative or nasty remarks this is serious.

Thank you.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Health

• It runs in my family too. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder which basically just means I get anxious alot. I have also suffered depression but mostly when I divorced so there was a trigger for that. Now I have PTSD due to an abusive relationship. The key really is a good counselor who can teach you coping skills and how to detect when depression or an anxiety attack may come on. I have a drawer full of medication I dont take. I instead only use the antidepressent which helps, sleep aid and on occasion when I feel an anxiety issue I will take something to calm my nerves. Coping skills though are really important. You need to also see about maybe a support group.

Answer by gemgem at 9:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I did, sometimes its good to change docs for a fresh opinion.. I know how frustrating it is too. I did the same things I would pray I would take medication, I would go to counseling. Finally a doctor put me on Lexapro and that has helped a lot but everyone is different. NOw I am pregnant and on Wellbutrin instead I can tell it helps still but does not work near as well. If all else has failed I would look into a facility in your area that may let you stay a few days for observation and work on your medications. These places are not terrible and they genuinely want to help you. The longest stay is usually 7-10 days
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Hugs!!! Yes, I do have both, and I have my "good" days and my "bad" days. I try to take each day as it comes and try not to stress myself out over the little things or the things I cannot change. When I am having a 'bad' day I will find some time to be by myself and try to count my blessings, and reflect on some of the 'good' things in my life. I also will say the Serenity Prayer. I do see a therapist, and have started on meds and they seem to be helping. I am here if you need a friend or someone to talk to, someone to listen. Feel free to message me.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It runs in my family too, but my parents never told me until I was in a mental hospital after attempting suicide. It's a really hard thing to deal with, I know. There's no "quick fix". All you can do is keep yourself busy (as much as you don't feel like it), socialize (again, as much as you don't feel like it), and exercise (again, as much... yeah, you get the drift). Try to force a fake smile when you're driving in your car. Studies have shown that the act of smiling, even when it's not genuine, has often drastic effects on the chemistry in the brain, which actually lead you to feel happier. No matter what, make sure you see a psychologist or therapist on a regular basis, even if you think "it doesn't work for you". Consider taking an anti-depressant drug.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 9:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Oh and also if you do go on drugs for it, give it at least 2 or 3 months to feel the full effects. Finding the anti-depressant that works best for you is like a hairstyle, you're probably gonna have to try a number of them before you find out what works best with your particular chemistry.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 9:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I hope you find some comfort with this... I'm sorry you have to go throug this. The world around us is full of despair and it is harder each day to acknowledge the good. It is here though. You have God. lay your problems on him each night and he will lighten your load. I know you have probably been reminded athousand times that he dosen't give us more than we can handle. Try to figure out the source of your despair and work on that, meanwhile you will be in my prayers...
    shefree

Answer by shefree at 9:13 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• There are a few good things to do which help both anxiety and depression. I have read that there my be a link between the foods we eat and depression. So look to your diet and make sure it is well balanced and full of all the colors of the rainbow. Less sugar and caffein may be helpful.
    Also try exercise: walk, ride a bike, take yoga, or workout in a gym. Exercise and aerobic activity releases endorphins and that is considered to be good juice versus anxiety and depression which are bad juice. Exercise evry day. Start with 20 minutes and work to increse to an hour. The endorphins really do make you feel better.
    Work to change the tune in your head. When I have negative or anxious thoughts, I consciously reframe them in to a positive statement. This really helps my outlook.
    Finally, try volunteering for others less fortunate. You will be doing a good deed and you may realize how fortunate you really are. Good luck!
    BCwclmom

Answer by BCwclmom at 9:25 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Unfortunately for me, depression, bipolar, and anxiety run in both sides of my family. My two sisters and I all deal with these things, and we have different ways to deal with them. They both opted for medications, while it's a last resort for me.
    I don't really have any advice for you, because different things work for different people... but good luck with everything. Just remember, you're not alone. :)
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2011