Take the devil out..who is left to blame?

I was thinking about this today and how easy it is to throw everything or just about everything bad that happens in this world on the devil or original sin. If we take that out for just a moment and open our eyes and see that humans are responsible for their own actions. We make a choice to kill or not to kill. We know the pain it causes when someone dear to us dies so we make a choice never to suffer that again or put someone else in that same boat.

Isn't it time we step up and say, "that was my fault entirely"? Anyone else get annoyed when people constantly blame this "devil" character for all the bad things like illness and so on or because of original sin or what have you? There will always be bad and good in this world but there is a balance to it all.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• As a christian I do believe that sickness and evil came into this world because of the original sin and the influence of satan. However I completely agree that to many times the devil is used as a cop out when we need to take responsability for our own actions. Yes imo the evil in this world and our flesh desire may influence us in one way or another, however ultimately we are left to make the decisions. The same devil that tempts us (again from a christian perpective so work with me here) is the same devil that tempted Jesus as he walked on earth and yet he managed to not succumb to every whim of desire. So I find that excuse quite annoying myself. When I mess up, and I have had some BIG BLUNDERS in my time, I say yep I chose to do that and it was my fault and ignorance.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree and the same can be said for when good things happen. People tend to thank god...why not thank the people involved and realize it was their actions that made the good things happen...I think it goes both ways...
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:17 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree with both you woman. I am in no way saying you can't believe these things exist but ultimately it is our choice to follow or not. I don't personally believe in the devil but that is me and I am not one to say different for someone else. MrsMWF-exactly. Thank the doctors, thank the unsung heroes, thank those who sacrificed their time and life for you, you know?
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I believe in Universal balance but believe that Satan tempts us to do wrong. God says and I dont have the verse on me but basically what we do does come back onto us or our children. That is karma.

Answer by gemgem at 9:20 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Oh, I agree. I don't believe in the devil or in original sin, and I believe each of us are solely responsible for our bad actions. I don't believe there is some entity or force that causes bad things.

I also agree that it goes the other way, too. While I believe in God I do believe that people are responsible for the good they do as well.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• They surely are bandgeek. I was at my best friends daughter's funeral in October and it was already a hard thing. I spent many days at her bedside with her mom and the doctors were absolutely amazing yet the pastor gets up there and starts thanking god for things and saying the doctors were wrong and they should have left it up to god and so on and so forth. It was horrible to see. You can thank god but thank those doctors who were at her side all the time and getting frustrated because they couldn't fix her you know?

I do believe in Karma but not in the way you explained. My children might suffer due to my actions however not everything they will suffer for. If I did things before I had kids that were not exactly the right decisions, that doesn't mean my children will suffer. You are saying I am suffering because of Adam and Eve's actions. That is where that all comes from.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• While I am not a Christian, I do believ that as humans on this earth, we have the ability to amke choices and be responsible for our actions. That is what I teach my kids. The blame game doesn't work. It's not until you step up and acknowledge your mistakes that you can move ahead and let go off all the "stuff" you have been lugging around. We all should dtrive to be the most authentic version of ourselves. This means chaging or modifying negative behaviors. Ther is so much good in the world. You just have to let go, forgive yourself and commit to taking responsibilty for yourself. It's really very freeing!
    BCwclmom

Answer by BCwclmom at 9:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• oh no, it couldn't possibly be the free will and thought of the person/people doing these awful things lol
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:34 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• just like tv is responsible for kids getting into trouble, it couldn't possibly be the parents
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• haha so agree momofone
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2011