What do you do when you get a really strong onion??

I usually don't have a problem with them. There have only been a few times in my life that my eyes have started to sting. But I was just in the kitchen cutting one up for dinner tomorrow and my eyes are burning so bad! What is your trick?

lilbit837

Asked by lilbit837 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Light a candle :D

I actually had to do that today. I was making chili beans and I got a whopper, man...it nearly killed me. I lit my vanilla candle (I don't think the fragrance matters though lmao) and the smell was taken away almost instantly :oD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i stick my head in the freezer for a min or two it takes a few times but it's so much less painful
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i wear contacts.. so an onion never bothers me.. but i heard if you smell coffee beans it'll clear it all up.
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• prior to chopping onions and getting watery eyes place the peeled onions in the freezer for about half an hour then you can chop
    Anonymous

• i wear swim goggles while cutting onions... no kidding, i have a pink pair in my cabinet. i look like a complete moron (and trust me my hubby thinks it's funny to take pictures of me doing it), but it gets the job done! my eyes are very sensitive to onions, but i love them! funny thing is... i was in sur la table (kitchen store), and they had "onion glasses" for the very same purpose! i laughed my ass off. apparently i'm not the only wacko that does this...
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• ive heard to rinse them in water before cutting.
    Anonymous

• I've heard of putting them in the freezer as well as lighting the candle. But the candle is from personal experience, plus my grandma always did that. I think I saw the freezer thing on Food Network :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Hold the onion down in the water while you cut it.
    momof2jmms

Answer by momof2jmms at 2:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Chew gum while chopping the onion, IDK why but it works.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:13 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• If one starts to bother me, I just run my hands and knife under cold water. I'll do that a couple of times if necessary.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:20 AM on Dec. 15, 2008