acclimate a dog to the new baby

We are having a baby in March and have 6 year old baby girl already, one of the canine species. She has never bit a child, but has shown very dominant characteristics and def. made us worry. What do you recommend we do to bring the new baby home and for all to get along andgo well.
PS she is a schnauzer if that matters or helps answer the question.

adupuie

Asked by adupuie at 11:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Pets

• When I found out I was pregnant, I wanted to make sure my 8 year old Lab/Shepherd was comfortable with a new human in the house. She is a wonderful dog and grew up(in a sense) with my 8 year old, so I wasn't too worried. But, babies cry and smell differently etc. We bought a really cheap doll from some store and strapped it in the carseat and carried that around.

We took her to places that had babies, fairs, parks, daycares(we called and told them why). When I finally did give birth to our daughter, my husband took home a blanket that the nurses wrapped my daughter in to let her smell it. From the minute my daughter has been home, Maple(the dog) has never made a move to be aggressive, dominant or anything.

I hope this helps.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I read somewhere that you should have hubby bring something home that the baby has worn, like a recieving blanket, before you arrive, so that your pet can get used to the baby's scent before you get there. When you arrive with the baby it will be somewhat familiar.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• animals can sense when a woman is pregnant, so try and have some cuddle time with your dog, and let her rest her heasd on your tummy, maybe feel some movements and what not..and yaa ive also heard that once your baby is born, and before you bring the baby home get someone to give your dog the lil hat that babies wear when theyre first born, so that it has that baby smell on it, and the dog can get used to it before the arrival of new baby at home..i did that with my dog, just to be on the same side (she was a german sheppard)..my dog didnt really care less..lol..i had cuddle time with her before i went into labour, and she always was rubbing he rnose on my belly, and licking it..lol..it was so awesome!!! so yaa..anywho!! lol...good luck! and congrats :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:52 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• bring home something that the baby has on or something to make the dog relize there is a baby comming home. Also make sure the hubby has the babys sent on him before comming home and let the dog smell his clothes and all. Also make sure the dog still gets time with you all and let him/her know you still love them too
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 12:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• oh and thats what my dad did for our dogs (im a single Mom) so my dad brought something home for our dogs and they never have had a problem with my son
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 12:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• basic obediance training is always good. As long as the dog respects you and obeys your commands, it shouldn't be too bad bringing the baby home. I tought my dog to go lay in a certain spot on command. That way, if he was getting to close to baby or trying to jump on me (which he instinctivly never did) I could give the command and get him away quickly. I also introduced baby items such as blaknets, bottles, baby powder, so he'd get used to them. While I was at the hospital, hubby took home a baby blanket that smelled like the baby so dog could get used to it.
    Anonymous

• One thing you can do to get her used to the baby is take a baby blanket or baby item to the hospital with you and let the baby's scent get on the blanket and have your husband take the blanket home and let the dog sniff it. Set up the baby equipment ahead of time so the dog can get used to seeing it (like the swing in motion) and sniffing it, so by the time baby is home and using the swing/crib the dog will not be interested in it anymore. Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:03 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Thank you for all of the advise. It makes me feel like I can help her get comfortable with the new baby. Thanks again.
    adupuie

Answer by adupuie at 3:29 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Have hubby bring the blanket home several times while you are in the hosp.. Also, when you get home leave baby outside of house (attended to) and go greet your dog baby. You'll have baby smell on you. She'll associate new smell w/ you. Give her a few minutes of loving. THEN bring baby to her. Let her sniff til she's happy all is well. This is VERY important to a dog who will be knocked down in the ranking order of the family. Also never leave baby alone w/ dog til your are sure that she'll not retaliate (sp) twds. baby. Hope this helps ya!
    just1moment

Answer by just1moment at 5:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2008