When did we stop disciplining our children?

So after reading a few questions here, my own popped into my head.

When did we stop disciplining our children. Why did we.

Is it because we were told that we needed to cater to them, to make them feel loved, needed and appreciated. Or was it when we were told to foster growth, self esteem and approval with friends.

I truly shudder when I think about the future job holders of the world. Those kids who expect good grades for doing nothing(or else mommy and daddy trounce up to the school and demand that junior be passed, because his head hurts, or his soccer practice is too long to do homework, or that he needs to hang out with his friends). Kids that expect to get to the top by doing nothing. The real world is not like that.

So, do you let your kids get away with murder to protect their self esteem.

Acid

Asked by Acid at 11:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

• IDK but I discipline mine when needed. they are angles compared to my non-disciplined nieces and nephew.
    Anonymous

• I only have a two almost three year old and she gets time outs, she hasn't actually done anything worth spanking or any other punishment, she's only two.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Heck no I have 6 my older 2 are 16,15 and they are two well behaved teens but their father and I taught them young. They both get A's and B's in school my oldest only needs 3 credits to graduate next year they know the value of hard work this was something important that we taught them young they are not afraid the roll up their sleves and bust butt when needed. I agree though to many kids today are out of control don't use red marker to mark their papers it is to upseting to them is such crap we are rasing a bunch of whinny wimps
    Anonymous

• We stopped disciplining our children when people starting calling the cops if a child was lightly spanked.
    Anonymous

• people are afraid to discipline their children because everything is considered child abuse now. i asked a simple question on here last week (just curious) about if people still wash their kids mouth out with soap and a few people threated to report me to CPS. CRAZY!!!.
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• oh yeah and it's also child abuse when you grab a screaming child by the arm and remove them from the store
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• not!!!!!!
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 12:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Yea i agree. We stopped disciplining when "child psychologist" got abused children and spanked children mixed up. When schools started labeling every other child with a learning disability (ADD, etc.) No offense to anyone who has a child or is, because my sister is ADD.

Me personally, think its ridiculus. My mother always sd, especially when I was a teen, I can be your friend when your an adult, but I will always be your mother.

Never got allowance for chores. That was something we HAD to do, because no one was gonna pay us to do it when we got our own house.

cont
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We were disciplined early, and therefore my mother had 5 kids. None of us have ever been to jail, or on drugs. 3 (including me) graduated with honors, adn I'm workin on my bachelors.

OUR BEHINDS WERE SPANKED! And my mother had a Masters in Child Psychology and also works for CPS, but she believes alot of it is a bunch of crap.

So yea...alot of parents nowadays are a trip and there raising lazy, SENSITIVE, children, when the real world is not like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Thank You. I was thinking the same thing today. When and Why do people decide that you might as well not discipline your kids.  I've seen so many answers lately that say stuff like .. well kids are gonna do what they want, when they want so .. just talk to them about it how to do it safe... so they don't get hurt doing it.

And the worst image popped into my head..   If they are willing to let their 13 yr old little girl go out alone to have sex and give her a condom to do it.. what would they do if the child wanted to kill someone?  Give her rubber gloves so she don't get caught?

BLAH to bad parenting.   Discipline your children people - they are your future.. and mine

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Dec. 15, 2008