How do i cope with my sons farther being in prison and postpartum depression at the same time?

My boyfriend ended up going to jail when i was 5 months pregnant, then he got sentenced to 4 years in prison. Then my boyfriends family don't want me taking medicine because i will get addicted to the medication but i keep telling them its just Zoloft but they still think the doctor is going to give me Xanax or Methadone which is not for depression. At this point i have a month old son and i am also dealing with postpartum and don't know how to cope with my boyfriend being in prison, my postpartum and my son at the same time.

iluvmylilman601

Asked by iluvmylilman601 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have been where you are with my 2nd son my dh went to prison when I was about 5 months preg and he did 5 years it was the hardest 5 years of my life but I grew as a person. As for the depression why does his family have a say in what meds you take I took Zoloft and it worked well for me. Are you planning on staying with your bf? If yes you will get to vist soon which makes things easier trust me it does get easier. Is your family there for you?
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• If you need to take meds to make yourself feel better, then do it. There are meds that are safe when breastfeeding and depression is something serious. I don't know why your bf's family would think you would get methadone for depression? Methadone is for heroin and opiate addicts, not depression!?
    AriMicSun

Answer by AriMicSun at 11:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• if you feel that you need to prove anything then have one of his famly members go with you so the dr can explain to that person the risks of going at this without meds and that these meds have no addictive properties in this meds and and if thats not good enough just have him/her reasure them that s/he will keep up on you to make sure you dont become addictied (even in the back of his mind s/he knows thereis none of those properties) if you really need to be on these meds then do what you need to do
    and if you feel you dont need to prove then have him back you up and explain to him everything above and have him explain to them that he feels its best you yada yada
    but i feel that its your body and you shouldnt have you prove anything to them cause they are his family not him. but i dont know your relationship with them
    amber8804

Answer by amber8804 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Get the help as was suggested the last time you posted this question and lose the loser whose locked up....obviously he screwed up bad enough to away for 4 years. Get rid of him, it's what would be best for you and your baby.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Anon - You do not know her or her bf to call him a loser you know people make mistakes she is here for support not people being nasty to her I think she has enough to deal with then to have to have people be so insensitve by the way my dh did 5 years in prison and is now a chef at a very high end resort so people can change.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2008

• When I had my 1st son 14 years ago, my boyfriend (now hubby) went to prison 2 weeks after my son's birth, it was really hard, but thankfully I had the support of my family as well as his family. I just kept myself busy and wrote to him on a daily basis. I constantly took pics of the baby to send to him, and took lots of videos so he could watch them when he came home. He was sentenced to 5 years, but thankfully ended up only having to do 3.5 years. I visited him regularly and when he got out, it was an adjustment, but we stayed together and are now married and just had our 2nd child. Hang in there and do what is best for you and your baby.
    Katie0221

Answer by Katie0221 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 15, 2008