Acting more sick than he is

5yo has the sniffles. He acts fine all day and then at dinner or when MIL is around he'll act more sick than he actually is and is suddenly "not feeling too good" to gain sympathy. Then after dinner when he gets to play he is fine again (other than a bit of sniffling). How do you deal with this? I despise people acting more sick than one is just to get babied (including my husband). (5yo also tried to get out of going somewhere today, and I said, well if you're too sick to go, you're too sick to play computer games, and suddenly he felt fine, so it IS a manipulative tactic.)

Do you guys allow this, or if he acts this way should we just put him to bed earlier to show him that acting more sick than you are isn't a game? I don't want him to think he can get away with manipulating people to get his way when he is sick or otherwise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son does that also.I just do the same thing tell him you were not to sick to play earlier.Then before he does something I tell him if you can play outside or a game I don't want to hear later that you can't sleep cause you sick.If he does that night I tell him you were fine alll day and just close the door they are doing it for attention so the more you fall for it the more they will act.
    AngelPink

Answer by AngelPink at 11:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I think he is just testing you. I know that with my children I tell them all the time "If you are sick and stay home then no computer games, or TV" If they really are sick then they are okay with this. If not then they will go to school and stick it out.

You could always try putting him to bed early because he is saying he is sick. I would let him know that this is what you are going to do. Something like "If you are to sick to have dinner then I guess you need to go to bed right after dinner."

I would not be to harsh on him. This is something that all kids do.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:23 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I agree with cornflakegirl. This is something alot of kids go threw. ITs like anything else, the bigger deal you make out of it, the bigger problem it will become. Stick to your rules of no tv, computer or play time and then let it go. If he wants to be babied by grandma then let him. You will blink your eyes and your son will grow up wont want a whole lot to do with you or grandma. He is only 5 years old :). Give him a little more growing room and time before expectations. Not sure if this is your first child or not..........but trust me, you want to pick your battles.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My 5 yr old daughter, A.K.A. Hypocondriac does it too. If one of her siblings mentions an ailgment she has it too and whines about it untill something is done. I'm kinda lucky because she takes a medicine in powder form to put in drink.. (Laxative) So I found pedialax (looks like medicine in pill form and is flavored) Doctor said it was ok to give to her when she has an ailgment. Plus it helps with her Gastronal (sp) problem
    m0j07

Answer by m0j07 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2008