Taking responsibility

One of my neighbors has her son enrolled in a summer program through the local school. He recently took a knife to school and pulled it out on a little boy. They are both 7. Her son was kicked out of the summer program and they are facing fines and all kinds of other stuff.

She is pissed off. Not because her son took the knife to school....she said that is him being a boy. She thinks the school is making to big a deal out of it. She also told me that her son had asked if he could take the knife to school and she told him no and that there was nothing more she could do.

Now as a parent if some kid pulled a knife on my child I would be livid. There would not be words to describe my anger. If my dd took a knife to school she would be in more trouble than she has ever been in. This girl is mad because she has to go through all this stuff and the police kept the knife.

What are your views? I have absolutely no sympathy and she seems to think I should.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd be patting him down before he left the house!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Ask that woman if the Columbine boys were just being boys??????????????????????????? Then slap the hell out of her for me....
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:48 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think if my kid requested taking a knife to school I would hold on to the knife until school let out. Actually...scratch that.. my seven year old would not have his own knife to carry as he pleased.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• That is not being a boy, that is a sign of a huge problem. She doesn't deserve sympathy. She needs to pull her head out of her a**.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Ha!! All she could do was tell her 7 year old son no to taking a knife to school....that is all she could do? Really? Mom of the year right there. I am sorry but this really makes me mad! For 1, why does he even have the idea that using a knife to harm someone is ok...he is 7!!! 2, she can take the knife away and make sure he doesn't take it. And 3, IF that were my son, you better believe he would be making amends in any way he could! And I would be asking myself what I did to mke him think that is ok.... No, she is delusional!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree with you. I'm not about to search my child every day for contraband and if my boy took a knife to school, he would be feeling the FULL WEIGHT of the consequences, and then some. I'd be grateful 1) that no one got hurt and, 2) he'd gotten the opportunity to learn this crazy lesson at 7 instead of 17. He would need to personally apologize to the child and parents of the kid, and a formal apology would need to be made to the school. He would be working off the cost of those fines through LOTS of extra work around the house and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be seeing electronics until he was 10.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree with you.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Sounds like my SIL when my niece got in trouble for pulling a lead pipe out of her bag at school. WTH?!

Seriously, I'm with you. If it were my child he'd be in deep at home for that one. I'm still trying to figure out how a 7 year old that has expressed interest in taking a knife to school has access to a knife that can be tucked away quietly into his backpack. DS is 9 tomorrow and has used a knife to whittle at cub scouts. It's a knife that stays on a high shelf in our room away from his reach and not easily gotten to without being noticed. He gets his hands on it only when he's going to be supervised and we retrieve it for him.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If that is all she could do when he is 7 what the heck is she going to do when he is a teenager.
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• While I can understand a parent being upset about all the mess or thinking punishment is too harsh, the thing is it could have and should have been prevented.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2011