Extra curricular activities

My dd takes dance. Right now she is doing Hip Hop and Jazz. She has also played basketball and soccer in the past. She really wants to play football which I have no problem with. There are boys in her dance class. My DH doesn't think we should let her play football and he also says if we had a boy there would be no way he would be in dance. What do you think?

Do you think some things are only for girls or boys? I feel only Scouts should be gender specific.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• For me personally I wouldnt let mine but she would also never ask. She is a girly girl and loves cheering lol. You can let her try this year though see if she actually even likes it. Be sure to have her ready for taunting for playing a boys sport. Kids are mean. I am not worried about the adults but you know how kids can be.

Answer by gemgem at 10:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• She is little and fast. And there are several girls on the league she would play in.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• There are girls playing on some of the 'boy' sports teams in my area. If she wants to try it - why not.

I think there are some things that are gender specific if there are teams or groups open to both. Scouts is one example, as you mentioned. In our town there's Little League and there's also a very competitive girls softball league. we did have girls on the baseball teams but most of them join softball.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm sure I do think there are some things that are gender specific. But in this case I don't. I think football is fine for girls as well as dance for boys. I do however, have a problem with wrestlng for girls, unless it is a girls team vs girls team. In football the pads ect are enough to keep things pretty clean & fair. In wrestling they barely wear anything! I'm sure there are other situations where I wouldn't want to cross that line, but I think our girls should get to experience as much as they can & our boys too. For example boys have been in cooking classes & home ec. type classes for years.
    Hunnieto3

Answer by Hunnieto3 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would not want my daughter playing on a football team with boys nor would I want her wrestling against boys. But that is just me.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 2:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2011