Which philosophy do you share?

So, do you tell your children they are perfect just as they are or do you remind them no one is perfect and that is what makes us all unique and special?

The reason i ask, I told my daughter all 3 of my kids are perfect and she said no one is perfect. I explained to her that everything, good, bad, indifferent, is what makes her perect in my eyes yet I could see the wheels spinning in her wonderful head how perfection could be more complex and individualized....Which made me wonder if telling my children they are perfect is in some sense setting them up for an unrealistic approach to life subconciously.

I know this is kinda "deep" in thought, and was curious what other moms' thoughts were on the subject.

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 10:22 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I teach my children that while no is perfect, they are perfect just as they are and shouldn't try to change anything that they personally don't feel should change. If they have a bad habit and they want to change it, they should, but if they don't want to, then they shouldn't. Everyone has flaws, but you are perfect as you are. I hope it makes sense, because if not, I've been confusing my kids their entire lives. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I never told my children they were perfect. I told them they were unique and that they had great potential. As they got older, we taught them to make wise choices which would in turn, influence their successfulness in life. The truth is that there is always room for improvement in all of us and to tell a child he/she is perfect might keep him/her from striving to be the best they can be.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• we are all perfectly imperfect....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• They are perfect for me..♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:24 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i tell all three of my kids they are perfect but being perfect does not mean you do no wrong it just means everything about you to your mommy is perfect as my hubby says my kids can do no wrong in my eyes. not saying they dont sit in time out when they do something wrong but saying they learn from what they do and to me my children are perfect!
    22mommyof3girls

Answer by 22mommyof3girls at 10:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• good question. no i never say she is perfect but she is only 2. she is perfect in my eyes. like most mothers think of their chidlren at perfect to them. i encourage what she does though and help her do it better. there is always room to improve in life.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:01 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't think I ever told my kids they were "perfect" but I did compliment them when they were doing good things , being sweet and kind, when they told the truth, when they were being a big help, when they got grades,, etc. But ...not perfect. Nobody is perfect.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I use the 'p' word sparingly. My oldest is a perfectionist and not hitting his mark on something is very hard for him to cope with even as he's getting older. Telling him he's perfect opens a can of worms neither of us wants to wade through. Instead I tell him that no one is perfect. No one gets through life without making mistakes. What makes us successful, though, is what we do with those mistakes. Do we grow with them or do we wallow and go stagnant. Perfection, frankly, is overrated and boring. ;) I tell him flaws and mistake are what make us grow and learn and discover and who would want to miss out on that?

I do tell my kids that they are the perfect kids for me -- our family is like a four piece puzzle that goes together so neatly & wonderfully because our pieces were cut to fit just so. It's not that they are perfect. It's that I love them exactly as they are - flaws and flubs and all.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I tell my children that no one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes, and no one knows everything. I also tell them they are perfect to me, and to be who they are and not change for anyone.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Kai zen.

There is always room for improvement.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2011