Should I bother trying to apply for a new job? (long)

The job I have currently is OK. Not great, not bad, but fine. I wish I made more money, but the good and the bad balances out alright. This is my first "real" job, so I don't have a lot of experience going for me. I've been here about 3 years.

Should I bother looking for another job? If I leave this one, I won't be able to come back, and in this job market with my experience level, that worries me a lot. I don't want to leave an OK job and then end up with a worse one. You can never really tell what the new job will be like until you start there. Plus, this is a very small company, and after being here for 3 years, I have a decent amount of job security. I'm afraid to rock the boat.

I'm a wife and a mom of one, hopefully soon to be one more. I don't care about advancing my career, I've given up on that notion (goodbye fancy degree!) because I don't ever want a job that will take me away from my family more than 40 hours a week. It would just be really nice to have some more money.

What do you think?

cypressandsage

Asked by cypressandsage at 10:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would stay put.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• If you are pretty sure you're in a good position in terms of your personal plans (kids, free time) then I'd say stay put, at least until the job market improves.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:36 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• There's no harm in looking.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 10:38 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would keep my options open. Skim through the classifieds at breakfast what would it hurt. You never know you may find something that interests you. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:41 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• While working there why don't you try to develop yr knowledge and skills. Do an online study course and then may be yr present employer may raise yr salary. Don't let go of this secure job, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".
    cafenatesha

Answer by cafenatesha at 11:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Stay put but keep looking. Don't jump unless it is the right opportunity.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• stay where you are. with the economy the way it is, you dont' want to jeopordize your security there. believe me i tell myself i want to find another job been here 17 years but i don't want to go to job and be laid off or whatever. so stick with it.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• A job search costs nothing, and is a great motivation to do your semi-annual resume update

Answer by rkoloms at 2:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2011