Autism Question. What's the science behind the number 6?

Since being the minimum number of students in a classroom. Most of autistic students (low-functioning) are placed on segregated classes. The worse cases are grouped as 6 students, 1 teachers aid and the Special Ed Teacher. I was wondering how did the government came up with 6 as the minimum number of students in a classroom. Why not 4 or 3 etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Here in NC, the accepted numbers are 6:1:1 as being ideal, once they place a 7th child in there then they have to add an additional assistant. With that additional assistant, they can have up to 8 kids. But with budget cuts, those numbers will likely be changing.
    There is tons of demand here for AU classes - there are countless people that move to Wake County for our services for autism (why I'm not sure, but then I've never lived anywhere else! unless it's because we have UNC-TEACCH)

Answer by missanc at 10:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I live in NC and there is no "minimum" number of students. There are autism classes here than one of my friends kids is in that has only 3 students, 1 teacher and 1 assistant. My son's class has 7 students with 1 teacher and 3 assistants.

Answer by missanc at 10:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I have 13 year old twin boys both with Autism. They are low-functioning and are in special classes at school. I have never heard of what you are referring to. So, I'm a little confused?
    stephensmom26

Answer by stephensmom26 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Missanc, Thank you.
    I could guess that maybe the ratio is lower because there are no other autistic children that need that kind of placement. But when the demand for education is higher the government has established class ratio of 6:1:1 for children with severe autism.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2011