Can a non relative ie boyfriend spank a child if they are living together by law?

the mother doesnt mind the boyfriend spanking just wondering legality of it

cannedice

Asked by cannedice at 10:38 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• is it his kid?
    1_love_2_hearts

Answer by 1_love_2_hearts at 10:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Is he the father of the child?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would never have allowed my bf to spank my children, not because I worry about him, but because I worried about resentment on their part. In most cases, only the parent should carry out that type of discipline.

Answer by missanc at 10:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I guarantee if my boyfriend, or anyone for that matter, spanked my girls.. THERE WOULD BE HELL TO PAY!!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• most places dont allow you or anyone else to spank a child. i believe there are some kids and some situations where a spanking is needed. im not talking about beating the kid but a normal spanking has kept me from doing bad things in my youth so if my kids need it i probably will do it.

takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 10:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i don;t think its illegal. if the mother said for him to do it but i wouldn;t suggest anyone put the parents of the child to spank if its necessary...
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• This happened to me when I was a child my mom let boyfriends disiplin me I had not respect for my mom when I grew older its not illegal unless it gets out of control but be careful the father could call cps then its a problem....and the question says non relitive so he is obviously not the father
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I would want someone to tell me that this is the way they want discipline handled. I think you need to look at it from the bf's perspective. He wouldn't want to be 'charged with abuse', so there should be a clear understanding of the discipline 'system'.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Not in my Book!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:51 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Well My PERSONAL opinion is that the Parents should discipline the kids, not the boyfriend (or whoever). If the parent is home, I would expect the bf to tell the parent there is a situation, and then let the parent handle it and discipline the child. Now if the parent is not home, and the bf is the one watching the child -- if the child is being naughty the bf should let the child know the behavior is not acceptable and discipline as the parent directs. Now if it were me, I would ask whoever to tell my kids that they were not behaving, and then put them in a time out and tell me about the incident when I get home, and then I would discuss it with the kid as well. I would NOT allow anyone to spank/hit my child!!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2011