Enough breastmilk?

I know every mom thinks at one point or another that the baby isn't getting enough. I can't find my stuff they gave me from the hospital about how long and often baby needs to eat... soo... since midnight, the feedings have been as such:
12:22, left, 11 mins
3:03, right, 11 mins
3:18, left, 5 mins
6:22, right, 8 mins
8:16, left, 11 1/2 mins

is this enough? or am i not producing enough?

dayziesnrozes

Asked by dayziesnrozes at 10:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The times don't matter AT ALL. Nurse on demand, and if you are changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period while following baby's lead with nursing, it's enough. It's simple really, and too often it's made to seem difficult. While establishing nursing, I would suggest always OFFERING the other side, but once you begin to know your baby's eating habits, (if she NEVER takes the other breast), then I'd stop offering.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Do NOT time. It's OK if you never find the hospital info because it sounds misleading.

He does NOT have to nurse both sides every session. You may offer after he's come off side 1 on his own and has been burped, but he doesn't HAVE to have it so don't worry.

6-8 changes per day means you're golden. Don't look for "satisfied" because there comes a time when you CANNOT satisfy him. That's a growth spurt and it's normal and not an issue. Dipe count is forever your measure, nothign else matters.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It sounds OK, but don't schedule. Feed the baby when she is hungry, for as long as she want's to eat.
    You know for sure by counting wet diapers.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• You are doing fine. As long as baby is getting 6-8 wet diapers in 24 hours, they are getting enough.

AND wet does not mean sopping. It means damp since their bladders are extremely small.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• if you act based on his hunger cues you will be fine. just make sure to rotate the one you use and if he feed for a longer time then usual swap breasts in the middle so they are receiving the same amount of attention.

takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 10:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• As long as he seems satisfied after you feed him, don't worry about it.
    CashsMama

Answer by CashsMama at 10:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It doesn't matter how often or how long baby feeds. Some are more efficient at getting mlk out, sometimes thyey are nursing fo thirst, or just comfort. The only number you should be concerned with is DIAPER COUNT! 5-6 wet disposable or 6-8 wet cloth.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i don't schedule it, just when he acts hungry; i just know the times so well cause i have an app on my iphone that keeps track so well. BFF is what it's called...
    he's got the wet/dirty diapers like they say he should, so i guess we're good... i just feel like he's hungry more often than my firstborn was. but that was four years ago so i don't really remember lol
    dayziesnrozes

Comment by dayziesnrozes (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• gdiamante - I agree the baby doesn't HAVE to nurse on both sides, but shouldn't it always be offered?? Just because a baby is done on the one side doesn't mean they aren't still hungry. I always thought you should offer/try both sides.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Micheledo, you don't have to offer the second side. I only offer the second side if she is still "acting" hungry but kind of angry at the first side. Sometimes she'll take it, sometimes not and needs something else.
    mollysmom328

Answer by mollysmom328 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2011