Who else is with me?

MY bf just recently got a dog. its 6months potty trained but sometimes has accidents if he isnt let out.( BUT tears stuff up..anything) Then we already had a cat, & then got 2 more kittens. so all together thats 4 animals!! Then we have a 7month old baby girl & a 3 year old son. It makes me feel like im taking care of all of them the kids & the animals. & i dont even want the dog but, he doesnt wnt to get rid of it... before the animals i felt like cleaning, working, kids, & him was alot to do by myself... he doesnt do alot of housework & works @ home. i need help idk what to do. i want to keep the 2 cats. idk i just feel like i cant keep up with everything else.

jennifer_oakley

Asked by jennifer_oakley at 10:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Pets

• It is very normal for him to still be chewing at 6 months but your boyfriend needs to step up and do more with the dog. The dog could be chewing out of boredom but also because he has not been taught appropriate chewing. The dog should not be allowed to have full access of the house if he still has accidents and is chewing. The boyfriend needs to take some breaks during the day and take care of the dog as well as work with him. I have 3 dogs and 4 cats and I personally believe that when an animal enters my house they will stay for their lifetime. They do require a lot but I would not get rid of them because of it. I would sit down with the boyfriend and make the pets a family responsibility.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I disagree. At 6mo, he should have all his teeth, so the chewing and tearing stuff up is now a behavioral thing. Give bf one more chance to fix the dog's problem, or you find him a home, yourself, so the dog can get what he needs to correct this terribly destructive behavior. He got the dog, it IS a family responsibility. That includes him. If the dog isn't getting what he needs, it is time to pass him on to another home who can handle him. It may just not be time for a dog. Cats are self-sufficient, for the most part. Heck, outside, they can feed themselves! Litter boxes are easy. Puppy-proofing while raising a family is not.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I agree with dancer. If he works from home it shouldn't be a big deal to let the dog ou feed it. Throw a load of laundry in the wash on a lunch break. I agrew u nees to sit down with him and let him know what is expected or the dog needs to go if he is not going to help take care of it.
    luvmyboys11

Answer by luvmyboys11 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Sorry but you cannot expect to keep the cats because YOU want to but tell him that HE needs to get rid of HIS dog.
    You have to be equal BUT he needs to start pulling his fair share of the responsibilities.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• attap5 the kittens were both of our choice to get the dog was his choice & when he asked he said it was a puppy its just a BIG puppy. lol
    jennifer_oakley

Comment by jennifer_oakley (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• well he needs to take responsibility of the dog since it was HIS idea of getting one tell em if he doesnt then the dog needs to go explain to him that he doesnt help out with the cleaning or the kids and u work and a mom that you cant handle it all u arent super woman and if he doesnt help out the dog will go to another family that will have time for it. Im guessing he thinks u can handle it all tell him u expect his help since he is home all day...
    1_love_2_hearts

Answer by 1_love_2_hearts at 10:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My DH works OTR so I have everything to do here and I mean all the manly stuff too. I have 1 dog, 8 cats, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 26 chickens, 2 pigs, 8 piglets, 3 rabbits and 3 bunnies. Life is what you make of it and hard work never hurt anyone. Ok if you can't do it all, but why is it that you want to keep YOUR cats, but will give up HIS dog?
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• He either needs to help you out or get rid of the dog. I had to get rid of 1 of our dogs while my hubby was deployed bc he started peeing everywhere bc he was upset that my hubby was gone. Hubby was mad @ me, but I couldn't handle that on top of everything.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• He needs to help out with the dog.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Since he works at home,he should be letting the dog out and doing some housework. U need to sit down and tell him u need more help around the house.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2011