REAL Christians?

I often see/hear "but they aren't REALLY Christian" bandied about as the excuse for misbehavior, or that "(X denomination) aren't REALLY Christians", or "well they aren't the RIGHT kind of Christian"...which makes me wonder who has patented the REAL Christianity.

According to your denomination's belief, or your own personal belief, whom do you condsider to be Christian? What beliefs, practices, etc do you think are essential to be a Christian?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 10:54 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Dictionary.com

Real Christian:   Definition - Bandgeek.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Ah, the True Christian™ game. I don't really play that one.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• As a non-Christian, if someone says they're Christian, I take them at their word.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• this is how I was brought up....a christian is one who truly follows Christ. That is the meaning anyway isn't it?
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• to me a real christian is someone who lives by the same ideals Jesus did. Not many Christians do. Some are too concerned with other parts of the bible that are much less important, like homosexuality, sex before marriage, ...etc...

They focus on the wrong things while they should be more focused on how to treat others & how to be kind, giving, accepting...not many Christians these days try very hard to be Jesus-like...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Anyone that believes in Christ as the father of God, and that is died for our sins is a REAL Christian. The question is whether they show to the world that they are Christians (acting in a Christian way, being nice to everyone, love your neighbor as yourself, not using God's name in vain, ect.). A lot of people are REAL Christians, they just don't act in the Christianly way all of the time, which I am guilty of too, because sometimes it is hard to turn the other cheek.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:59 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Aren't we all God's children?
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 11:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Anyone that believes in Christ as the father of God--

lol..i think that is a 'typo'...never heard of christ being the father. i think her words got mixed up.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:09 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• The Amish are the only real, true Christians IMO.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:26 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It's so objective, no one can ever really say what a "real" christian is. One christian feels they are the "ideal" real christian, and the one they point fingers at says THEY are the real one.
    When people withiin the same religion can't agree, I sure as hell can't tell ya either.

I think Jesus' message is incredibly lost amongst many christians.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2011