Does anyone know the effects of milk?

Does anyone know what the repercussions of introducing a child to milk before 12 months can be? I have a friend who is doing this because its cheaper and I'm just curious If I'm worried for no reason.

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it can cause them to be allergic to milk
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:09 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Google the dangers on milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• It can cause intestinal bleeding, not to mention constipation, and possible allergy.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:29 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I think it depends on how young the child is. It's not as big of a deal for an 11 month old as for a 6 month old.
    But as far as risks: a small increase in the risk for a milk allergy, and anemia due to low iron in milk and it can cause slight intestinal bleeding.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:41 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Both my kids were on whole milk by 7 mos and are perfectly fine. I don't see a problem with it at all. I think it is better for them. They are healthy and happy.
    EMTmom119

Answer by EMTmom119 at 12:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• "Cow's milk is not recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics for children under 1 year old. Infants fed whole cow's milk don't get enough vitamin E, iron, and essential fatty acids. They also get too much protein, sodium, and potassium. These levels may be too high for the infant's system to handle. Also, whole cow's milk protein and fat are more difficult for an infant to digest and absorb.

Cow's milk can have dramatic effects on the infant's iron levels. Infants fed breast milk or iron-fortified formula have normal iron levels. Studies show infants often have low iron levels when started on cow's milk at 6 months of age." http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/002448rec.htm  If she is replacing formula with milk there is a big problem concerning proper nutrition as well as what is listed above.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 3:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Well besides upsetting and potentially damaging their stomach, cow's milk does not contain the nutrients that are needed to grow and thrive in baby's first year.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• My Daughter is 10 months old and her Ped suggested putting her on whole milk because she isn't getting enough breast milk and she will not take formula. The Ped said it could cause Anemia and some stomach problems in some babies.
    DreamComeTrue08

Answer by DreamComeTrue08 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• They need the vitamins and such that are in breastmilk or formula until they are atleast one. I think cow's milk has been way overrated anyway. It's really not as good for anyone as people tend to think. Introducing milk earlier than one does not give them the nutrition that they need.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2008