My 3 year old daughter is struggling with potty training. Ideas?

girliemom777

Asked by girliemom777 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is she in underwear? Put her in underwear, no more diapers at all (except at night). Stay home for 3 days. The first day take her every 1/2 hour. Give her m&ms when she goes. Be very positive. The next day take her every hour. Day 3 she should be trained. She will have accidents, just stay positive. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:00 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Different things have worked for each of my children. It was really a case of trial and error. Try, try, try, until you find something that works. With my daughter, she LOVED getting treats whenever she went. She only got them if she remembered. As she started going more on her own, she quit asking for treats. When she had a setback, I just started giving the treats again.

With my firstborn son, he HATED doing things himself. If he wet/pooped his pants, he had to stay in the bathroom until he got his clothes off (I cleaned him up) and then he had to dress himself in the clean clothes I gave him. There were times it took over an hour to do that. But he quit going in his pants.

My second born LOVED cleaning up his messes. LOL! But he hated going naked. He was given one pair of underwear and pants a day. If he wet them, he went naked the rest of the day. After a few weeks, that cured him!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• What problems is she having? If she's wearing panties and having constant accidents, she's probably not ready. If she has good days and bad days, or she's doing fine until she gets tired, you just need to stick it out and remind her to use the potty more often. I cleaned plenty of poopy panties before it all clicked.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Does she show signs of readiness? I thought that I was going to make my son be ready for potty training at 2.5...yeah right! It didnt work out as well as I had hoped. One thing I thought would help would be taking him along to buy the things needed: potty seat, training pants, underwear, etc. He was all into helping pick it out, until he found out what it was for. He rebelled and refused to go to the potty. Needless to say he was potty trained in Dec of last year. He just turned 4 this past April. Some things that I used was: potty training (picture books), movies and a sticker board (that I let him pick out and the stickers that he wanted to use). And everytime he went potty or told me he had to I would make a big deal of it...lots of encouragement!!! Hopefully this helps. I wish that part of parenting came with a manual, it was hard and difficult....but remember in the end it will be soo rewarding.
    hottmomma042607

Answer by hottmomma042607 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• not sure what you have tried. this is what we did. We went shopping for underwear and stickers. Then we hung a calendar in the bathroom and every time they went to the bathroom they put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" amount of stickers they would get a special treat like going for ice cream or having their favorite dinner. I believe the key is being consistent. Don't push to hard because there isn't much she can control in her life and so if you push to hard she might push back and fight you on it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• if you want to inbox me, I'll tell you what I did.. it only took up to a week max to completely potty train my daughter.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2011