History of (your) Religion

Do you think the history of your religion has any relevance to the validity of its teachings?

EDIT:  Reworded...

Do you think that the history of your religion makes the beliefs it promotes more or less valid?  (Validity as in conveying some personal truth)

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 11:05 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hinduism is based on no particular founder, is not based on one particular book, is not controlled by a central institution, is not averse to examine & assimilate diverse thoughts into it's system, it accepts all other religions as true paths and it continues to evolve.
    Throughout its entire history, Hinduism was never static. It evolved continuously from stage to stage and went on transforming itself continuously. This was due to the self less and extraordinary contribution by many scholars, seers, sages, institutions, kings and emperors, over a vast period of time.
    By correcting, molding, modifying, and integrating various aspects of the religion to suit the social, political, material, intellectual and spiritual requirements of the times, these great souls kept the religious lamp shining and vibrating. They provided knowledge and guidance to the multitude of beings, while barbarism and savagery still ruled.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I find that exploring the history of the various religions is interesting, but I don't feel that the history either negates or validates the beliefs I hold. I believe that faith and beliefs are ideals, and while history can show us how various people have lived up to those ideals or failed to live up to them, how people have put those beliefs into good practice or bad practice, I don't believe that we can judge beliefs or religions, which are ideals.

I hope that makes sense, lol. I may be misunderstanding the question, though...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No. The "history of my religion" is really the history of the world as a whole, as my "religion" is inclusive. But the basics and values of my path are based more on understanding the past and moving forward mixed with common sense...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No. Although I admit to probably not fully understanding the question.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:06 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No, but since I don't have a religion I don't have a history and there are no teachings.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No clue what the question means. Could you reword it?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• in MY religion.. no not really.. I'm a spiritual atheist. there isnt a lot to learn about the religion itself. however it's key to understand basic history and our cultures to really grasp why many have gone to atheism.

for other religions, in fact MOST other religions, yes... I don't feel you truly understand the religion without looking into the history and culture in which it was written, along with the full context of the text.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• kind of I am Christian and without the history of Christ there is nothing to celebrate. I am not a fan of organized and ritualized religion.

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Yes ... I think it's history supports its validity.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I really don't think the history of Buddhism has much impact on it's validity- it is very practice-based, so either the practice works or it doesn't, regardless of the history of its' origins.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:35 PM on Jun. 29, 2011