After death...

What does your religion teach about after-death handling of the body?

How has your religious (or philosophical) beliefs influenced the decisions you have made for you and your family at death?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 11:10 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My religious beliefs have no bearing on how my body will be handled after I do. Personally I wish to be cremated.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• There are many rituals that go along with death in Hinduism. A brief very basic break down would be: upon death the body is cleansed, mantras are chanted into the left ear, sandalwood paste is placed on the body, the body is cremated (open air cremation is the preferred however it is illegal here in the states), the chief mourner who is usually the eldest son is responsible for lighting the fire, the ashes are gathered and placed in the Ganges river.. After the death of a loved one, many families traditionally place a picture of the loved one in the home in a place of "honor" (sometimes in the same room that puja is set up or on the puja altar itself, sometimes just hanging in a main room for all to see) and a garland of flowers is placed over the picture (and always replaced with a fresh one when needed).

I will be cremated and if at all possible my ashes will be placed in the Ganges river by either my husband or son.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i'm not aware that there are any specifics concerning handling the dead body. (christian)
    if there are, they certainly haven't influenced our decisions.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'm an Atheist. After I die, then can feed my carcass to the alligator at the zoo for all I care.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I was raised Baptist and taught that cremation was sinful. Regardless, I hate the thought and don't want that for myself or my loved ones. It has nothing to do with the teachings of the church I grew up in, I just find it very creepy and disgusting.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• What does your religion teach about after-death handling of the body?  It doesn't directly. However an eco-friendly life is of great importance, and I don't believe that would end simply because one dies.
    How has your religious (or philosophical) beliefs influenced the decisions you have made for you and your family at death?  I want them to go with the "greenest" option available. I have spent to much time and energy doing what I can to protect our earth and I prefer not to hurt her in death by leaching harmful chemicals in to the soil from a lacquered coffin or embalming.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• As long as it's in league with the law, ow a body is handled after death does not matter. As for family, well I've nbeen raised to respect their wishes in regards to their remains, so I would follow whatever it is they wished to have done.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My religion doesn't say anything about it. In other words--do what you want.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2011