Do you feel it still takes a village to raise a child?

I speaking more about extended family ect. i was raised that way. i think the child gets so much more from more people in their lives then just a mother and father. i understand if they live far away ect but if they are available do you still feel its true. i am very fortunate my dd is being raised by myself and her grandparents and the daycare provider is part of our extended family. the rest of my family is in another state.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 11:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, I do. I don't mean the village is "responsible" for my child, but guidance, love, instruction, support......and things of the like are so important.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I'd like to know where my village is lol they havent been helping at all.. Its just me until my hubbys home from work then its just us and always has been
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I do believe it does.
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 11:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think it is wonderful to surround your child with the love of others. However, I am going to be the person that chooses the "others". I won't allow people around my children that give them a bad example in life.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• i guess our family was self-sufficient. LOL. We were in the USAF and had no family living near us and we were transferred every few years. I suppose the Air Force community and all their services , our friends, could be considered 'the Village". After retiring, our kids were in college and we had lots of relatives nearby and we all benefitted. Its good that we can have a whole bunch of relatives and friends we can trust. You can't parent alone aand do as well...its tough.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I think there's only good that can come from building a support network of loving, supporting adults for your child. It goes beyond extend family too - there are teachers, coaches, Scout leaders, etc. As a child my grandparents were not involved at all. My aunts and uncles were too far flung to be a factor most of the time. However, I had teachers that effected me in ways I still feel today. My mom was my Girl Scout leader and I know she had a major impact on the other girls in our troop - as adults today they comment on that often.

My kids have two hands-on parents. They also have very involved, dedicated grandparents. My son's cub scout leader is an influence as as is his karate instructor and his baseball coach before that. He's had two particular school teachers that will be the kind you look back on and say "Mrs. X really made a difference." My DD ha a gymnastics coach that influences her. I'm her Brownie leader (con
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:45 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• (cont) but there are assistant leaders and other adult volunteers that certainly present themselves as fantastic role models for DD. There are teachers that have impacted her too and family friends that will leave their mark. Her art teacher inspires her to reach and grow in something she's passionate about in a way I simply can't because I'm not the artist at heart DD is. It's not just child care or school - it's people that you look back on life as an adult and remember fondly the way they impacted, even if slightly, your life.

I had wonderful parents, but I certainly have a strong and amazing village to reflect on as well. My kids will too.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• it takes alot to raise a child! whether it's grandma and grandpa borrowing the child for a night, or me calling my mom for advice, it's still grandma helping out! kids learn from everywhere, and i would rather my child learn from people i trust in my family than anyone else at this point in his life. when he gets older, i know there will be other figures - teachers, coaches, etc - and that will bring just that much more to the table for him.
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 11:49 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Yes and No. I feel it takes many influences, but not necessarily family or friends.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No, after much contemplation, I don't believe it does.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2011