Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil...what is it?

According to your belief system, what *is* evil? Does it even exist? Does it have an embodiment (such as the Devil, etc)? What is its purpose? What created it? What is your role in dealing with it?

(just a reminder, this is not a debate)

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 11:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Does evil exist in a physical or even metaphysical form? No. Evil is not a thing. Evil is present in the minds or actions of individuals or in their deeds. I had a great grandfather who was an evil man - but he chose to be! The evil wasn't something that was separate from him, it was what he CHOSE to do or CHOSE to act like... The evil was what he chose to do, and he could have changed that at any time. If evil were separate from him, it's not something he could have chosen to change.

Now, negativity as an entity is slightly different. Not because it is a separate thing, but because negative energy is a physical thing. Just like we create positive energy, we create negative energy - and that can, and does in many cases make it feel as if evil is a separate entity.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• My dh's aunt is evil. Does that count?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Fudge stripe cookies are evil. The Keebler elves created them for the sole purpose of making my ass wider. I deal with by creeping through the forest late at night under the light of the moon to their tree cookie factory and tossing in a few hand grenades. That should take care of their evil little butts.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• It is the willful harm of others.  Psychologically and physically.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Evil the absence of Good.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Evil as in a noun? No, I personally do not think evil exists in that form.

I think that there are those who are psychologically disconnected and therefore lack morals.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 11:19 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• my boss lol shes so evil full of hate
    1_love_2_hearts

Answer by 1_love_2_hearts at 11:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• I don't believe evil actually exists. I believe that people have the freedom to do as we please in this world, and that those actions effect both ourselves and others in positive or negative ways, if that makes sense.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• Here is an excellent definition of evil

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:56 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• EVIL= Eternal Value Is Lacking
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:11 PM on Jun. 29, 2011